What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I find the Cydia preinstalled apps

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In Cydia, under installed, I see (in Blue) The apps I purchased. There are numerous pre-installed apps, such as "find utilities" and Bourne Again Shell. There are no icons. How do I access these preinstalled apps.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You don't.

A lot of the stuff put on your iPad is to make the tweaks you install run properly. But, they are not for the user to use, but for the tweak to use. So, don't worry about them, only worry if you can't access a Cydia tweak that you installed.

Hope this makes sense and clarifies.

Marilyn

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It makes sense and clarifies, but I have a followup question:

Every time I select the "installed" tab, Cydia indicates it is "downloading." Is this because I have just jailbroken and everything is not yet in place, or will this happen frequently.

Ty 4 all the quick responses. This is my first jailbreak and I am having tons of fun. So far, I have purchased and installed, MyWi 5.0, 3G unrestrictor and iFile. I'll get openssh and an ftp client tomorrow. If I download them now, I'll never get to sleep!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It makes sense and clarifies, but I have a followup question:

Every time I select the "installed" tab, Cydia indicates it is "downloading." Is this because I have just jailbroken and everything is not yet in place, or will this happen frequently.

Ty 4 all the quick responses. This is my first jailbreak and I am having tons of fun. So far, I have purchased and installed, MyWi 5.0, 3G unrestrictor and iFile. I'll get openssh and an ftp client tomorrow. If I download them now, I'll never get to sleep!

When you first open Cydia, it loads all the repos and such. This normally doesn't take very long. But, thanks to the new jail break, I am sure that The Cydia servers are getting hammered right now, so this loading process may take longer than usual (sometimes you may even get errors). If I may suggest, wait until Cydia has finished before doing anything. I've found it helps the process as you're not interrupting it...

Oh, and when you get OppenSSH - make sure to change your root and mobile passwords! They are the same for everyone until changed (alpine) and you sure don't want to leave a window open! Yell if you need help on that process.

Ain't jailbreaking fun?! :D

Marilyn

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. As an added security measure for openssh, when I am finished with an ssh session, can't I just edit /etc/services and remark out the ssh entries with a #. I have not worked with Linux for a while, but I think that is how I used to close ports.

With these entries remarked out, won't ssh not be available?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminder. As an added security measure for openssh, when I am finished with an ssh session, can't I just edit /etc/services and remark out the ssh entries with a #. I have not worked with Linux for a while, but I think that is how I used to close ports.

With these entries remarked out, won't ssh not be available?

No, you don't really want to be messing about with OpenSSH like that. The easiest thing to do is get SBSettings (free in Cydia). Then, when you install OpenSSH, you can activate the SSH toggle to turn it on and off. Makes life easier.

Though, if I may make yet another suggestion: When you do get OpenSSH, don't worry about turning in on or off; just change the passwords and you'll be fine. It's designed to be on by default (after a power on, restart or reset). This is a safety feature so that, in case you ever need to, it's on and that's one less block to getting into your iPad should something go wrong. Sometimes, we do a real good job of mucking up a JB. With OpenSSH installed (and YOUR password), that might give you that little tunnel you need to get back into the iPad.

Just my 2¢ - YMMV.

Marilyn

OP
D

dragon499

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your advice makes sense. I can see myself bricking the Ipad by playing around with system files. With Access, I could always revert the changes.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Cydia, under installed, I see (in Blue) The apps I purchased. There are numerous pre-installed apps, such as "find utilities" and Bourne Again Shell. There are no icons. How do I access these preinstalled apps.

Not everything you install to the iPad will have an icon you can open.

Most reactions

Latest posts