What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homepage basic Q

Reaction score
Hi y'all. Again.

Anyone know if I can add to my homescreen, the LHS additional info like time/ weather info? Ive seen these additional boxes of info on newer ones ( the usual homepage icons just squeeze over twd RHS to make room).. but cant swipe or know how to add it on this older air 2.

Anyone know what Im talking about? Thx schwangtanger.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi y'all. Again.

Anyone know if I can add to my homescreen, the LHS additional info like time/ weather info? Ive seen these additional boxes of info on newer ones ( the usual homepage icons just squeeze over twd RHS to make room).. but cant swipe or know how to add it on this older air 2.

Anyone know what Im talking about? Thx schwangtanger.

Hi Schwangtanger - first, the use of abbreviations or acronyms may not be familiar to all on this 'international board of iPad users', just saying best to avoid - I'm assuming that LHS = 'left hand side' and RHS = 'right hand side' - right?

But as to the question, you're likely talking about Today's View and displaying the widgets on the left side on your home screen - correct? If you check the link, that feature takes a few setting alterations: 1) Settings > Home Screen & Dock - the app icon size needs to be changed to 'More' from 'Bigger' (which I use); 2) Then go to landscape mode, sweep right, and the 'Today View' is added to the left of the home screen. You can also toggle 'Keep Today View on Home Screen' in the settings, if desired. This works fine on my iPad Pro using iPadOS 14.x, although like said I don't use the feature. Hope this is what you are asking about - the link provides more info and the pics below are from my iPad when I made the switch (first view w/ 'Bigger' icon only shows 'Today View''; next pic w/ 'More' icons now allows adding the view to the Home Screen). Dave
Todays1.PNG
IMG_2389.PNG

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi giradman on here. Thanks so much for this reply.. its exactly what Im on about, & have followed your advice successfully!

Im like the taliban, pretty much taking over this forum all for myself. Soon, all the threads WILL BE MINE!!

i thank you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Got nuther q.

When you use the mail app to send email to another similar mail app, with a website link included (for eg badgerswithhatsonskateboards)... & receipent opens it, what configuration then happens? I mean it cant surely open another app, cos its not an app link innit.

i thank you. Schw.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A link in an email will open the default browser app to show the site. If there’s no other browser installed on an iPad, Safari will be opened.

OP
S
Reaction score
A link in an email will open the default browser app to show the site. If there’s no other browser installed on an iPad, Safari will be opened.
So is the default browser app not the inbuilt safari ipad one then J.A?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Got nuther q.

When you use the mail app to send email to another similar mail app, with a website link included (for eg badgerswithhatsonskateboards)... & receipent opens it, what configuration then happens? I mean it cant surely open another app, cos its not an app link innit.

i thank you. Schw.
Hi again - if you add a legitimate URL (e.g. ending in .com) to your email, when received the URL should appear in blue and be underlined, as in the example below (an email sent to myself w/ the correct Amazon URL) - when the link is clicked the site should open in your default browser (usually Safari for most, including myself); if you have other browsers on your iDevice, such as Google's Chrome, then that or another can be set as the default, as can the 'search engine' used.

One suggestion - if you have a question that is unrelated to the thread, always best to start a new thread rather than 'bury' your new question in another discussion which may never be seen or answered. Dave :)

IMG_2601.PNG

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi again - if you add a legitimate URL (e.g. ending in .com) to your email, when received the URL should appear in blue and be underlined, as in the example below (an email sent to myself w/ the correct Amazon URL) - when the link is clicked the site should open in your default browser (usually Safari for most, including myself); if you have other browsers on your iDevice, such as Google's Chrome, then that or another can be set as the default, as can the 'search engine' used.

One suggestion - if you have a question that is unrelated to the thread, always best to start a new thread rather than 'bury' your new question in another discussion which may never be seen or answered. Dave :)

View attachment 94278
Thats very useful info giradman. Yes making a new thread, but sometimes im far too embarressed by my ineptitude to do so.

So do the app icon things use a browser, or not? Can you flit between websites using an app thing, like you can safari & its tabs configuration?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thats very useful info giradman. Yes making a new thread, but sometimes im far too embarressed by my ineptitude to do so.

So do the app icon things use a browser, or not? Can you flit between websites using an app thing, like you can safari & its tabs configuration?

Hi again SDD - an 'icon' usually represents an application or program that runs in iPadOS - this includes Mail and Safari, plus many others; on one of my 'home pages' shown below, app icons are seen individually and many others are organized in 'folders', typically with a title that suggests a similar function, e.g. the numerous app icons w/i my 'Photography' folder. Thus, program apps on your screen(s) run in the iPad's operating system (like Word or other programs running on a Windows computer) - this is true for Safari, i.e. it is an app and the 'tabs' in browsers are part of the app.

At the bottom of my iPad's screen is the Dock which stays in place as one swipes through the different screens on the device - on the left are your 'Favorites', i.e. apps that you may open often and want to be always present; on the right are 'recently used apps' - this is an optional setting but allows easy switching if you might be going between two apps (e.g. copying material from a browser's website and then pasting to another app, such as Notes).

Take a look at Apple's online iPad User's Guide HERE - manuals can also be downloaded as PDF files (I have a bunch in the Books app). Finally, I would still encourage you to start a new thread if your question(s) is completely unrelated to a thread you are currently viewing. Good luck - Dave :)

iPadHome.PNG

Most reactions