What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home sharing

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In one way that is good news but it actually deepens the problem. If it were my iAd I think I would be doing a restore to the original factor settings and starting again.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:confused:
In one way that is good news but it actually deepens the problem. If it were my iAd I think I would be doing a restore to the original factor settings and starting again.
ok if the factory settings were correct! the IP scanner is a neat tool. got another 2 free apps while i was in App store. Funnily enough my router (Netgear) came up with a house icon like I should have on my iPad library.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
had considered that but only ever been one account in my name on wife's desktop. last night i emptied my library on my desktop to see if that would help. trewppoet asked me about restrictions and have all the buttons set to the on position (find that screen in settings quite confusing. in iTunes Advanced drop-down my account name is there in brackets.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
:ipad-keyboard:

yup, got my ID & password in................same on iPod device.
methinks Apple could have named that icon 'media' or something diff from 'Pod.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You've double checked the password? Remember the iPad often defaults to caps for the first letter and this may not be what you want.

Regarding your PM sorry never been to the Liverpool apple store but if we can't get it fixed then a genius appointment is probably the way to go.

Also have you tried rebooting both the pc and the ipad, I've had problems in the past with homesharing and a reboot of both devices normally sorts it.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DefBref said:
You've double checked the password? Remember the iPad often defaults to caps for the first letter and this may not be what you want.

Regarding your PM sorry never been to the Liverpool apple store but if we can't get it fixed then a genius appointment is probably the way to go.

Also have you tried rebooting both the pc and the ipad, I've had problems in the past with homesharing and a reboot of both devices normally sorts it.

Running diagnostics under help in iTunes (again). Good point about capitals but surely that wouldn't happen with iPod device. Might make a genius appt anyway as my son lives near it and he wants a go on GarageBand. Good guitarist but hadn't heard of GarageBand.
Have done numerous reboots.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to basics. There is no shared libraries folder on the iTunes list on my PC so seems that iTunes has not accepted my request for Home Sharing. It should appear there even if I haven't setup the devices (although I have). Could Bonjour have anything to do with that? I've made Bonjour one of the exceptions in my Firewall since I re-installed it.

OP
D

drover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: After lots of reinstalling of Bonjour Services and switching it, DHCP client and DNS client to manual (from automatic)in admin tools/services, managed to get Home Sharing in iTunes list. 'Created Home Share', but when I clicked 'Done' it dropped out of the list! So it looked like it was the router. My ISP (AOL) couldn't help, even though they supplied it, themanufacturer, Netgear wanted me to pay £60 for their engineers to assist. No chance. Saw an article that advised using the iNet app and that was interesting. Seems there was no Bonjour service running and only port - 80 forHTTP. Now I need to find out how to open ports 3689 & 5353. Great learning process. Thanks for help so far - just need to get some confidence to re-configure the router :)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good luck. Just be sure to write down or somehow backup your current settings first. That way if you accidentally cause more problems you can backtrack and start over.

akaroads

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the help... Oh... I forgot to say that I had a problem. Anyway after reading this thread I was able to start home sharing. Very Nice!

Sent from my iPad 32/3G using iPF

K1W1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Update: After lots of reinstalling of Bonjour Services and switching it, DHCP client and DNS client to manual (from automatic)in admin tools/services, managed to get Home Sharing in iTunes list. 'Created Home Share', but when I clicked 'Done' it dropped out of the list! So it looked like it was the router. My ISP (AOL) couldn't help, even though they supplied it, themanufacturer, Netgear wanted me to pay £60 for their engineers to assist. No chance. Saw an article that advised using the iNet app and that was interesting. Seems there was no Bonjour service running and only port - 80 forHTTP. Now I need to find out how to open ports 3689 & 5353. Great learning process. Thanks for help so far - just need to get some confidence to re-configure the router :)

I used to work for a Netgear distributor when they first started and only had about 6 employees (1997). There have been plenty of issues with Netgear routers particularly in the past that Netgear are sometimes slow to acknowledge. The very first thing I would do is get onto Netgears web site and see whether your router is running the latest firmware. If it's not update the firmware first before you do anything else.
Most newer Netgear Routers will do an automatic firmware update from within the router control screens if you have that option do it that way. before you start there is also generally the ability to back your router up so make sure that you do that.

Now I know that this is really dumb but I have to ask.
You don't have "Disable shared libraries" ticked under Parental Controls in iTunes by any chance do you?

Most reactions

Latest posts