What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi i am Brian an 80 year old silver serfer

bwright165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im new to the Ipad have owned it 6 weeks and so far am coping quite well but have a problem when i connect it to my Imac to transfer the photos I have this message ( photos in the camera on Brians Ipad cannot be viewed or imported because the ipad is locked with a passcode I have entered the passcode on the Ipad but still cannot see my photos on the Imac ) can any one help me.
Thank you.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
im entering the passcode that opens my Ipad and the ipad is on.

Hi Brian - please tell us which iPad you own and also what iOS version is installed. Also, explain whether you are wanting to transfer photos from your iPad to your iMac (or the other way or both) - there are many ways to handle photos w/ these two devices - first as an example, the iPad can be cabled to the computer and iTunes used (a method I do not like) - second, there are better choices both wired and wireless - take a look at my post in THIS THREAD - I would suggest for starters that you give PhotoSync a try - requires apps on both your iPad & iMac but works well. Let us know if any of these suggestions helps - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-01 at 12.03.54 PM.png

OP
B

bwright165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Brian - please tell us which iPad you own and also what iOS version is installed. Also, explain whether you are wanting to transfer photos from your iPad to your iMac (or the other way or both) - there are many ways to handle photos w/ these two devices - first as an example, the iPad can be cabled to the computer and iTunes used (a method I do not like) - second, there are better choices both wired and wireless - take a look at my post in THIS THREAD - I would suggest for starters that you give PhotoSync a try - requires apps on both your iPad & iMac but works well. Let us know if any of these suggestions helps - Dave :)
View attachment 77155
Hi Dave my iPad is the mini iOS 10.3.1 its 6 weeks old. I was wondering if it is my Imac thats the problem I purchased it new in 2008 so its quite old its running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave my iPad is the mini iOS 10.3.1 its 6 weeks old. I was wondering if it is my Imac thats the problem I purchased it new in 2008 so its quite old its running Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Hi again Brian - yep that Mac and OS X is getting 'long in the tooth'! My Macs are on Sierra 10.12.4 - you never mentioned if your iPad is cabled to the computer, which way you want your photos to be transferred, and which app you are using, assuming iTunes?

Of course, you could try the PhotoSync app mentioned and linked in my previous post, but not sure if their Mac app will run on that old machine and OS X - you'll have to check their website, if interested. Dave :)

OP
B

bwright165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Brian - yep that Mac and OS X is getting 'long in the tooth'! My Macs are on Sierra 10.12.4 - you never mentioned if your iPad is cabled to the computer, which way you want your photos to be transferred, and which app you are using, assuming iTunes?

Of course, you could try the PhotoSync app mentioned and linked in my previous post, but not sure if their Mac app will run on that old machine and OS X - you'll have to check their website, if interested. Dave :)
Dave I connected the ipad by the c

Dave I connected my ipad by cable and it opened IPHOTO and i clicked on trust and my photos from my ipad where on the imac screen but since then nothing apears on the the screen should I get them in itunes and how do you get that. you will have to excuse me I am get forgetful at times would it be any good getting my mac upgraded or would the cost be to much for the age of it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave I connected my ipad by cable and it opened IPHOTO and i clicked on trust and my photos from my ipad where on the imac screen but since then nothing apears on the the screen should I get them in itunes and how do you get that. you will have to excuse me I am get forgetful at times would it be any good getting my mac upgraded or would the cost be to much for the age of it.

Hi again Brian - first, your Mac is really old as is the OS X (6 versions behind) - you would likely be much better off purchasing a newer Mac (used or refurbished would be options). Second, iPhotos no longer exists in the newer macOS versions, replaced w/ Photos - and you should have iTunes on your computer but likely a very dated version - hard for me to say how this older hardware/software is impacting on your attempts to load photos from your iPad to the Mac (again, I'm assuming that is your goal but you still have not told us).

Now, I don't know if you looked at my previous links, i.e. the post of mine on this forum and also the app PhotoSync, but may be of help - just cannot guarantee how this will work w/ what you own Mac-wise. But for me, there are 3 'native' apps that come w/ current macOS versions that permit interaction of the iPad photo library w/ a Mac computer: 1) Photos - when opened w/ the iPad (mine is an Air 2) cabled and selected, my photos show up and can be transferred to the computer (see first pic below); 2) Image Capture - great native app - see 2nd pic - with my iPad selected, photo transfer can be done; and 3) iTunes (3rd pic) - transfers and syncs can be done but the process is less than intuitive and hence I do not use this option; however, read my post linked before to understand the half dozen or more other ways to manipulate photos. Dave :)

P.S. Please tell us which iPad Mini you own; since 2012, 4 models have been released - the latest is the Mini 4 w/ the best iSight camera on the back, i.e. 8 MP.
Photos1.png
Photos2.png
Photos3.png

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Wow a 2008 iMac that is pretty old. I just had to say that. I know nothing of what your trying to do so I'll just shut up now. And by the way hello Brian.

OP
B

bwright165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Brian - first, your Mac is really old as is the OS X (6 versions behind) - you would likely be much better off purchasing a newer Mac (used or refurbished would be options). Second, iPhotos no longer exists in the newer macOS versions, replaced w/ Photos - and you should have iTunes on your computer but likely a very dated version - hard for me to say how this older hardware/software is impacting on your attempts to load photos from your iPad to the Mac (again, I'm assuming that is your goal but you still have not told us).

Now, I don't know if you looked at my previous links, i.e. the post of mine on this forum and also the app PhotoSync, but may be of help - just cannot guarantee how this will work w/ what you own Mac-wise. But for me, there are 3 'native' apps that come w/ current macOS versions that permit interaction of the iPad photo library w/ a Mac computer: 1) Photos - when opened w/ the iPad (mine is an Air 2) cabled and selected, my photos show up and can be transferred to the computer (see first pic below); 2) Image Capture - great native app - see 2nd pic - with my iPad selected, photo transfer can be done; and 3) iTunes (3rd pic) - transfers and syncs can be done but the process is less than intuitive and hence I do not use this option; however, read my post linked before to understand the half dozen or more other ways to manipulate photos. Dave :)

P.S. Please tell us which iPad Mini you own; since 2012, 4 models have been released - the latest is the Mini 4 w/ the best iSight camera on the back, i.e. 8 MP.
View attachment 77159 View attachment 77160 View attachment 77161

Dave sorry for the late reply have not been to well lately my ipad is a mini 2 retina whi.fi 32 gb wfs I want to transfer the photos from it to my imac I purchased it from John Lewis Nottingham in February

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave sorry for the late reply have not been to well lately my ipad is a mini 2 retina whi.fi 32 gb wfs I want to transfer the photos from it to my imac I purchased it from John Lewis Nottingham in February

Hi again Brian - believe that I've exhausted my recommendations in posts about 'native' macOS apps and other apps/devices in my links - you'll have to post back your experiences; and sorry, I cannot help much w/ that old OS X version (never used it myself).

Finally, I'm not sure what you may want to do w/ your 'aged' iMac, i.e. upgrade the hardware, e.g. RAM & SSD storage (if possible) + take macOS as far as possible on that machine or obtain a newer Apple computer - if you want more advice, I would suggest looking at the Mac-Forums - I'm RadDave there - a bunch of great members who are quite experience in talking about older Mac hardware and software. Dave :)

OP
B

bwright165

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Brian - believe that I've exhausted my recommendations in posts about 'native' macOS apps and other apps/devices in my links - you'll have to post back your experiences; and sorry, I cannot help much w/ that old OS X version (never used it myself).

Finally, I'm not sure what you may want to do w/ your 'aged' iMac, i.e. upgrade the hardware, e.g. RAM & SSD storage (if possible) + take macOS as far as possible on that machine or obtain a newer Apple computer - if you want more advice, I would suggest looking at the Mac-Forums - I'm RadDave there - a bunch of great members who are quite experience in talking about older Mac hardware and software. Dave :)

Thanks for all the help Dave i am looking into having this one upgraded and how much it will cost against a refurbished one do you know of any good companys that do refubished ones and thanks again. Brian.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple themselves sell refurbished iPads and other Apple products. They look and work like new and have the same warranty as a new item. If you go to the Apple online store and search for refurbished, you'll see what's currently available.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help Dave i am looking into having this one upgraded and how much it will cost against a refurbished one do you know of any good companys that do refubished ones and thanks again. Brian.

Apple themselves sell refurbished iPads and other Apple products. They look and work like new and have the same warranty as a new item. If you go to the Apple online store and search for refurbished, you'll see what's currently available.

Hi Brian - if you are still wondering about upgrading your 'old' iMac, then I would encourage you to go to the Mac-Forums (link given previously), join, and leave a thread w/ as much information about your computer as possible (for starters, go to the Apple in the left upper menu corner of your iMac - hit 'About This Mac' - provide that information along w/ the macOS installed) - the 'hardware gurus' there will be able to help regarding whether this machine can (or even should) be upgraded.

As to SciFan..'s response Apple refurbished products are excellent w/ a 1-year warranty - now I don't know what your budget may be, but just checked HERE - listed on the Apple website - two iMacs for about a $1000; either one would serve your purposes - also look at the laptops which might also be a consideration, don't know if that is of interest to you. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.45.30 AM.png

Most reactions