What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi I am a new member

jada8023

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am a new member and is just trying to learn the new forum. I do have one question....why can't I watch tv shows from CBS for example. Is there an app that I need to get.

Thanks in advance .

pommie82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi jada & welcome to the forum
I hope that you enjoy yourself on the forum!!!!
Well if you have a mac or pc you can watch Tv on your iPad its called Eye Tv its also a piece of hardware to
which requires installing on your machine first then you can watch & record at your leisure
i always use my iPad to Watch Tv
Here is the link for you - EyeTV Netstream products - Satellite TV (Freesat) and DTT (Freeview)
I hope that it helps
Paul

OP
J

jada8023

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you so much for the link. I see that you must have eyetv set up on your Mac. Will it work on a pc also since I do not have a Mac?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can also get a network tuner like the HDhomerun and bypass PCs and Macs. There are two methods/apps to stream the channels to your iPad that I am aware of:

1. TV Streamer with Goodplayer - my preferred combo. TV Streamer talks to the network tuner, does the initial channel scan and when you select a channel, it tells the HDhomerun to stream the channel to Goodplayer. Pros: channel scanning works better than InstaTVPro, automatically adds channel logos to each channel. Cons: logos can be wrong, needs Goodplayer to get the stream and play it back.

2. InstaTV Pro - just checked this one out last week. Note that it must be the Pro version, not the free or standard version. I made the mistake of buying the standard version, and the developer was kind enough to give me a promo code to get the Pro version.
Set-up scans channels, then you can select the channel and it plays back within the app. Pros: all in one app Cons: no logos (although it says it does), channel scanning a bit hit and miss - had to scan multiple times until I got most of the available channels.

These will also work from a tuner on a PC, InstaTV needs its server installed on a Windows Vista/7 machine. TV Streamer only works with the HDHomerun tuners, but there are other streaming methods for general tuners in PCs.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to:

iPad Accessories |iPad Help|iPad Hacking | iPad Games | iPad for Business and Education | Special Needs iPad Forum | iPad for Health Forum

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
Regional iPad Groups

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0, 5.1 & 6.0:*
Connecting to the iTunes Store.
iTunes - Books - iPad User Guide for iOS 5.1 by Apple Inc.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/iphone-user-guide-for-ios-6/id563272542?mt=11

http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Btw...have you gone to the AppStore? I have the abc and NBC app to watch episodes for. Those channels. I am sure that CBS also has one too!

Last edited:
OP
J

jada8023

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I got everything but when I try to do a channel search it says no hd home run found.

Am I missing something?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jada8023 said:
Hi I got everything but when I try to do a channel search it says no hd home run found.

Am I missing something?

Do you actually have a HDHomerun network tuner? Is it connected to your network by Ethernet cable to the router?

OP
J

jada8023

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Do you actually have a HDHomerun network tuner? Is it connected to your network by Ethernet cable to the router?

No I only have the one from the App Store. Is that something I need to get? I have a small square bloc that I recently got but I got that one from the cable company and it is connected to the router via Ethernet. Is that it?

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jada8023 said:
No I only have the one from the App Store. Is that something I need to get? I have a small square bloc that I recently got but I got that one from the cable company and it is connected to the router via Ethernet. Is that it?

Does it also connect to a TV cable in some way (either aerial or cable)? HDHomerun is a brand of network tuner. You may have a network tuner, but not one made by Silicon Dust. You will need to find out exactly what you've got there. Does it have any writing on it, maybe underneath? A brand name, serial number or model number would assist.

OP
J

jada8023

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
Does it also connect to a TV cable in some way (either aerial or cable)? HDHomerun is a brand of network tuner. You may have a network tuner, but not one made by Silicon Dust. You will need to find out exactly what you've got there. Does it have any writing on it, maybe underneath? A brand name, serial number or model number would assist.

This says it is a directv cinema connection kit. Serial num xed3a1227a8056. At the back it is connected with two different coxal cables and an Ethernet. At the front there are five lights: power, WLAN, activity, network, APISTA. It is a direct tv brand.

Thanks again

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jada8023 said:
This says it is a directv cinema connection kit. Serial num xed3a1227a8056. At the back it is connected with two different coxal cables and an Ethernet. At the front there are five lights: power, WLAN, activity, network, APISTA. It is a direct tv brand.

Thanks again

I'm not familiar with how the Direct TV works, but it appears that box gives connectivity between your Direct TV set-top box and your network. A brief google told me what it was, but not its uses. I guess it's possible it can work in conjunction with a DirectTV app, but I cannot check that out for you as I'm in Australia, and I'm guessing DirectTV Is a cable service in the US.

Most reactions

Latest posts