What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all

HungryWriter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.glennmagas.com
I've been on the should I shouldn't I fence with the iPad preorders. I decided NOT to and wait to see how it goes.

But I do want one just to have one - but would a MacBook Pro be a better investment? My MacBook is great, but I need 'more' from my computer.

That being said, that's not much of an intro!

I'm a full time writer, blogger, and new Apple addict making the switch from the PC world in June 2009. What was I thinking all those years?

I've wanted to make sure I can do EVERYTHING on a Mac that I need to and that is one reason I also run WinXP on my MacBook. MS Office's Excel is just so much better in Windows (and that's what I did for 12 years - I'm an Excel Expert and former financial analyst).

I definitely want to be all Mac, all Apple, and all about this company and the products they develop!

I'm trying to learn as much as possible on the iPad so I can review it on my blog!

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been on the should I shouldn't I fence with the iPad preorders. I decided NOT to and wait to see how it goes.

But I do want one just to have one - but would a MacBook Pro be a better investment? My MacBook is great, but I need 'more' from my computer.

That being said, that's not much of an intro!

I'm a full time writer, blogger, and new Apple addict making the switch from the PC world in June 2009. What was I thinking all those years?

I've wanted to make sure I can do EVERYTHING on a Mac that I need to and that is one reason I also run WinXP on my MacBook. MS Office's Excel is just so much better in Windows (and that's what I did for 12 years - I'm an Excel Expert and former financial analyst).

I definitely want to be all Mac, all Apple, and all about this company and the products they develop!

I'm trying to learn as much as possible on the iPad so I can review it on my blog!

iPad and Macbook Pro are two completely different devices....not in the same category.....

A Macbook Pro is just as the name implies a professional computer. It is capable of doing video editing, 3D animation, professional photo editing, and other such applications that would normally be limited to a Mac Pro tower.

The iPad is a tagalong device. It is an extremely lightweight (form factor and OS) portable computer that is made more to consume than to create. (still waiting to hear about iLife!!)

While you will be able to create text documents and even illustrations and some music you will not have the raw power of a macbook pro.

BUT....it is WAY more portable. Thin, light, and small enough to carry under your arm anywhere you go, or through in a briefcase!

If you were deciding between a Macbook Air and iPad I would say no contest.....

Macbook Air = Seriously underpowered macbook for $2000!!!
iPad = Seriously overpowered iPhone for $500!!!

Remember iPad is running a version of iPhone OS (it is a beefier version tho!) But it is a mobile OS. I think it would make more sense to refer to it as Apple Mobile OS than iPhone OS, since it really isnt the same.

This device is going to change things tho...for starters it is a very lightweight OS that is extremely optimized to run on very low power devices. App dev is going to become huge for it....the other big game changer is how content will be distributed to the device. This will be the first time we will have a device with no input and yet a world of applications installable from within the device! No more need for a dvd drive when games and utilities are completely accessible from within. As I've heard, as this Mobile OS grows it may actually get adapted to consumer grade home computers. So iMac's might actually have a further incarnation of this OS instead of Mac OS...leaving the full blown OS for professional computers. This would allow for much more energy efficiency and also faster home computers that do everything you want them to do!

Or we may just see the new age of wireless. 27" iPad with a stand could in fact replace the iMac. Would be a lot easier come moving time! And you could grab it and use it for a presentation if need be.

We are about to see something new and great.....hang on!

jwookie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
<Or we may just see the new age of wireless. 27" iPad with a stand could in fact replace the iMac. Would be a lot easier come moving time! And you could grab it and use it for a presentation if need be.

We are about to see something new and great.....hang on!>

I SOOOOOO agree with you gentlefury, I think it will change the world in ways we don't know yet. . .

Most reactions

Latest posts