What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here comes the competition

RedWings

iPF Noob
Reaction score
WOW! Just WOW! I would like to see this evidence that 40% of America is functionally illiterate before wild claims are made.

Further, perhaps you could enlighten us with the empirical connection of "Simple" device users--I presume this means Apple products--to this study.

A quick Google search will lead you to your answer. Just do a query for functional illiteracy and you will see some pretty shocking statistics.

I never said all Apple products are overly simple, just the iOS products.

I am not the one making the BS claim, you are...so quote some sources.

On what planet is simple a bad thing? I don't have to research problems endlessly because it just works...

Who has to research problems endlessly?

While iOS is a simple OS to use, it can't be that simple since these forums are full of questions.

G.P

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All this bickering over an electronics device is a bit strange to me. Folks, there's nothing wrong with competition, or people preferring products different than what you like. Competition breeds innovation, that encourages everyone to stay on their toes, and the ultimate winner is the consumer, because we have CHOICE. So I say bring on the competition, and let the best 'man' win.

All these fanboyish arguments are like an internet version of 'mine's bigger than yours!' Sheesh....

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can we not just focus on this thread and not people's claims. It is easy enough for anyone to research this online independently and if you don't believe claims then just simply disregard them. This isn't just a US centric forum anyway so too much emphasis is going on the side arguments and not the original topic.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry, that's not spin. That's fact.

And the second point starts with the word 'if', as to put it in perspective as to just how many Apple products are in the hands of consumers.

Did Apple not pass Microsoft last year in market capitalization? That's fact, not spin.

Not to mince words, but the ipad is a tablet computer, no? Does it compute? Yes. Docs, spreadsheets, presentations? Yes. Surf the web, check email, ect.. Yes.

Is it a full fledged OSX machine? Of course not, but does that disqualify the ipad from being a tablet computer? Not at all. Are net books considered computers? Of course! Yet most are so much slower at performing the same tasks compared to an iPad.

Regardless of whether or not an iPad is or is not a "computer", Apple is still currently the third largest CPU manufacturer in the US.

How are any of these statements anything but raw factual data?

They're spin because they require changing or ignoring context for impact. Apple is the 3rd largest pc maker in the US, but that doesn't translate to a significant portion of the US computer market, where they're still less than 10%. Just because the market is dominated by non-US computer makers doesn't make Apple more relevant - they're a minnow, and putting them in a fish bowl rather than a lake doesn't change that.

And their CPU production is mostly for mobile devices, rather than computers.

The fact that 75% of the college market owns Macs - how much of the total market is that? Apple has 100% of the epb tablet market - shall I issue a press release? A company can't dominate the PC market selling home computers - the big money is in making machines for business, where Apple has always been marginal. Their own "Mac v. PC" ads tout this very fact - in almost every commercial, Justin Long explains that the Mac is better for fun like movies and iLife, the PC better for work like spreadsheets and databases.

And the iPad runs the exact same OS as the iPhone, so if the iPad is a computer, what is the iPhone4, which has the exact same functional capacity, more memory and more RAM? A mini-tablet?

In order to make your "if" statement work, you've got to change the context of what a computer is from the accepted definitions, the old "that depends on what your definition of is is" - which is spin.

Netbooks aren't as powerful as workstations but they're considerably more powerful and flexible than the iPad because they're capable of running a full OS.

A full computer is capable of accepting input (working with data and myriad files, accepting media input via differing sources and such) and generating output/content (printing, writing to media) - both areas where the iPad is weaker than any netbook. These functions were kept rudimentary for the sake of simplicity, and because it's designed primarily as a playback device - to show, rather than create.

Years ago, at the end of a relationship, a girl said "I thought we could still be friends." I replied "yeah, the thing is, you're not a good friend."

You can argue the iPad is a computer, but you can't claim it's a good one.

Last edited:

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
2010 was "The year of the iPad (with a couple other crappy tablets thrown in)"

2011 will be "The year of the tablet"

2011 will be the year of the crappy tablet with a smattering of mediocre units.

Actually, no, have you seen the crap that came out in 2010? 2011 will have many more good tablets than 2010 had.

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
I have seen several mentions about how great android is going to be. I have no concerns if it is great. Every maker will have to make a decision about features, costs, design. Most of the tablets out now are 7" because it is the current limit for android. I do not see Apple ever giving in and offering flash, but I foresee less demand for flash. Flash on a handheld device will probably never be a enjoyable combination for the average user. 1080p is a limited virtue for the next few years. I wonder about what features android 3.0 might bring, but I am not going to jump out and spend my money on one. The software may be great, but unlike Apple, the link between the device software and the device is not always the best. Once android 3.0 is release, the question will be which device works well with it.

Agreed! Plus there are problems that continue to linger for Android developers that might dampen sales. Here are the Top 3 Problems Developers Face with the Android Platform and why its not all that its cracked up to be:
Top 3 Problems Developers Face with Android Platform

The Alternative

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
thealternativeone.blogspot.com
All this bickering over an electronics device is a bit strange to me. Folks, there's nothing wrong with competition, or people preferring products different than what you like. Competition breeds innovation, that encourages everyone to stay on their toes, and the ultimate winner is the consumer, because we have CHOICE. So I say bring on the competition, and let the best 'man' win.

All these fanboyish arguments are like an internet version of 'mine's bigger than yours!' Sheesh....

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the bickering. It's a senseless waste of time. I have to wonder though about the motives of registered users on an iPad forum that continually bash the iPad or extol another device simply to elicit negative response. To me this is a simple case of trolling no matter how intelligently the supposed argument is presented.

Isn't there a whiner’s forum somewhere on the other side of the internet?

OP
W

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The Alternative said:
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the bickering. It's a senseless waste of time. I have to wonder though about the motives of registered users on an iPad forum that continually bash the iPad or extol another device simply to elicit negative response. To me this is a simple case of trolling no matter how intelligently the supposed argument is presented.

I disagree, it only seems like bickering if you don't see the relevance of competition to the iPad. I believe the competition is going to make the products better for the consumers. While it is true a few people get into a religious fervor when stating their case, I don't believe that makes the discussion less relevant.

I read recently that the new Windows Phone 7 is excellent and it may have been the best phone if it had been released five years ago. But it couldn't have been released then. The Windows Phone 7 learned from Android and iPhone. The iPhone learned some tricks from the BlackBerry and others. These products don't appear in a vacuum, they evolve from each other. Today's iPad is immensely better than the old tablet PC. Tomorrows tablets will (eventually) be better than the iPad. I love that about technology, but frankly not everyone is comfortable knowing today's wunder-gadget will be tomorrows Walkman. It doesn't mean we should all ignore the fact that tomorrow is coming, like it or not.

rogatsby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wrecklass said:
I disagree, it only seems like bickering if you don't see the relevance of competition to the iPad. I believe the competition is going to make the products better for the consumers. While it is true a few people get into a religious fervor when stating their case, I don't believe that makes the discussion less relevant.

I read recently that the new Windows Phone 7 is excellent and it may have been the best phone if it had been released five years ago. But it couldn't have been released then. The Windows Phone 7 learned from Android and iPhone. The iPhone learned some tricks from the BlackBerry and others. These products don't appear in a vacuum, they evolve from each other. Today's iPad is immensely better than the old tablet PC. Tomorrows tablets will (eventually) be better than the iPad. I love that about technology, but frankly not everyone is comfortable knowing today's wunder-gadget will be tomorrows Walkman. It doesn't mean we should all ignore the fact that tomorrow is coming, like it or not.

Of course you disagree. You're one of the posters he was referring to!

Most reactions

Latest posts