What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

here comes the competition...part 2

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another device with the name Samsung on it.

I heard on the news that the Galaxy had a 13% return rate. I forget why. Is that high?

I'm honestly not sure what an average return number is for a device like this, but 13% sounds high to me. I haven't tried the Galaxy Tab, but every other Samsung device I have had over the past few years has left me looking for something else.

Jasonc84

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The LG Gslate should be coming out soon as well that is going to be a great tab as well. The original galaxy tab was decent but felt like a large phone gingerbread def improves the user experience.

I work for Tmobile so have a bit of experience with the tabs and I can honestly say there are a ton of people who prefer the 7inch tab because it is more portable. I also think competition is the best thing for us as consumers forces companies to improve their products faster to keep up or ahead of the game.

S65AMG

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The RIM playbook specs is on par with iPad 2 and supports flash content, thought of getting it initially but it's gonna be a long wait before it comes to Singapore

Sent from my iPad using iPF

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, "competition improves the breed," but, in this case, I think that "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is more appropriate.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
it will be a cold day in hell before I ever buy another device with the name Samsung on it.

I heard on the news that the Galaxy had a 13% return rate. I forget why. Is that high?

I'm honestly not sure what an average return number is for a device like this, but 13% sounds high to me. I haven't tried the Galaxy Tab, but every other Samsung device I have had over the past few years has left me looking for something else.
I would tend to think that over 1% return is pretty high depending on the reason for returns. For instance, if people don't like living with the size, the OS, that could be deemed acceptable but if it's for hardware failure, even 1% is too high. The price involved in all aspects of the returning process is quite high. Better to have satisfied customers.

Trky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Android has a long way to go before it can catch up to apple in the tablet game. I sold my original ipad when the galaxy was being hyped up. My plan was to get the galaxy tab but once it did come out I didn't want it and bought another ipad. I sold the second first gen ipad in hopes that the Motorola xoom would be the ipad killer, but it didn't impress me either. I waited and got the ipad 2. I have no plans on selling it unless it's to pay for the ipad 3. I'm done with android tablets. Flash isn't that big of a deal, especially when the xoom doesn't even ship with flash installed (one of their biggest selling points over the ipad).

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
These Samsung tablets look to be very nice. To clear up a little information, the TouchWiz UI is mostly widgets and is not an overlay of Honeycomb. They have done some light skinning on some stock applications and added a few new capabilities into the tablet, but Honeycomb still looks like Honeycomb. This looks to be a like a very nice tablet. Lets hope that it doesn't have a Tegra 2 inside.

As for why buy the 8.9" version when the 10.1" is 30 dollars more:

8.9" has a higher pixel density
8.9" has a battery that is only slightly smaller and should give better battery life
8.9" is slightly more portable
8.9" is the exact size of 720p video played on an iPad (not really a reason, just a factoid)

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score

13% is about one in eight, which I'd think is very high. If that same return rate happened to the iPad (15 million units) it'd be about 1.9 million returns (which is about the population of Vancouver BC.)

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

13% is about one in eight, which I'd think is very high. If that same return rate happened to the iPad (15 million units) it'd be about 1.9 million returns (which is about the population of Vancouver BC.)

Oh Wow! Thanks for clarifying that. Totally appreciate it.

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Oh Wow! Thanks for clarifying that. Totally appreciate it.

The more pertinent question I'd ask is, where or who got that 13% figure from. Apart from customer change-of-mind issues, if I were a manufacturer and had a product which incurred 13% defect return rate, I would take a long hard look at quality assurance in the design and assembly line and get it fixed.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
More Competition, more models... confusion reigns

Samsung announced today the Galaxy Tab 8.9 and 10.1 inch models. Both are the thinnest tablets in the world and operate on the android 3.0 OS styled with samsungs own TouchWiz UX interface.

there are 3 models, 16GB, 32GB, and 64GB. Prices start at $499.

Sprint also announced the HTC EVO VIEW. A touch screen tablet to add to their list of EVO devices. Specs are coming soon.

And finally, the blackberry playbook is available for pre order. Priced at $599, the 7 inch touch screen tablet running RIMS tablet OS will be available in april.

Its going to be an interesting summer....

Thinner ... great ... what is the battery usage going to turn out to be? Thinner means less battery. 7", 8.9" and 10.1" ... also Samsung went back to the drawing board when the details of iPAD2 were detailed. Yesterday, Xoom announced rapidly stopping build orders to factory ... to be zero by June. What does that tell us?

Thinness was one biggy ... the other was the dual core graphics processor with all its goodies in performance for gaming visuals. Notice no details on the graphics, just a cortex 8 cpu. I'll be waiting. In June we'll likely see iOS5.

How would y'all like to schedule the production quantities of three models with all the manufacturing issues in distribution, packaging, stocking, let alone tracking to insure competition sharpness. Oh, it gets complicated quickly.

mac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
Are those tablets really even thinner thn ipad2? I honestly wouldn't want them to be so thin and skinny it feels flimsy..lmao

Exactly, I don't want to carry a piece of paper around.

I guess they could attach a thin keyboard to the next version to make them feel a bit more substantial (and protect the screen, and hold it in a good position for viewing). Apple will then follow up with an upgraded, even thinner and lighter MacBook Air/iPad3 cross breed with touchscreen, convertible keyboard, gyro, GPS, and an ability to switch between iOS to OSX. Sales will then really take off because it'll be the only device pretty much anyone would ever need, and keyboardless tablets will disappear once again.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mac said:
I guess they could attach a thin keyboard to the next version to make them feel a bit more substantial (and protect the screen, and hold it in a good position for viewing). Apple will then follow up with an upgraded, even thinner and lighter MacBook Air/iPad3 cross breed with touchscreen, convertible keyboard, gyro, GPS, and an ability to switch between iOS to OSX. Sales will then really take off because it'll be the only device pretty much anyone would ever need, and keyboardless tablets will disappear once again.

Oh, that's a good idea. Put apple's Bluetooth keyboard into the smart cover somehow! Awesome!

Thphilli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thinner ... great ... what is the battery usage going to turn out to be? Thinner means less battery. 7", 8.9" and 10.1" ... also Samsung went back to the drawing board when the details of iPAD2 were detailed. Yesterday, Xoom announced rapidly stopping build orders to factory ... to be zero by June. What does that tell us?

Thinness was one biggy ... the other was the dual core graphics processor with all its goodies in performance for gaming visuals. Notice no details on the graphics, just a cortex 8 cpu. I'll be waiting. In June we'll likely see iOS5.

How would y'all like to schedule the production quantities of three models with all the manufacturing issues in distribution, packaging, stocking, let alone tracking to insure competition sharpness. Oh, it gets complicated quickly.

The battery sizes were listed. 6800mah for the 10.1 and 6000mah for the 8.9. The 8.9 should have better battery life than the ipad2, with the 10.1 being similar to the ipad2. Of course there will be undeervolted and over clocked kernels released for both once they launch that improve significantly on battery life as well, for anyone who feels like rooting.

The xoom rumor about stopping production is not based on any sort of fact and is denied by motorola.

Not a cortex 8 gpu, I can guarantee you that. And the graphics will either exceed the ipad2 or be woefully short, depending on in samsung uses their exnos SoC or uses the Tegra 2.

Samsung ships over a dozen android phones with completely differing hardware all across the world, i think they can handle 2 tablets. Also, they produce like half of the hardware for the iPad and ipad2.

madhatter61

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mac said:

Oh, that's a good idea. Put apple's Bluetooth keyboard into the smart cover somehow! Awesome!
When I first posted this idea, seemed okay... but, it destroys the idea of that same cover also becoming a stand. I think the stand is more important than the keyboard.
Thinking further ... IMHO Apple wanted a slick way to store the stand, plus the idea of quick on and off makes sense. Again, I think the little neoprene protective bags are very workable and keeps the mishandling issues at bay.

Most reactions

Latest posts