What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help!

help_amc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got myself in a mess. Hear me out please... Today I wanted to view an email on my ipad mini which I received about 3 weeks ago and it was no longer downloaded, so using the search bar in my mail (I use Hotmail) I entered the sender's name. That's when everything went pear shaped. Since then I have been getting the message 'connection to the server failed'. I used an apple discussion thread relating to this same issue and the advice (which seemed to work for the poster of the same problem) was to delete the mail account in settings and then add it again. I thought that would be straightforward so I did it. since then, naturally all mails on my ipad mini have been deleted and I seem to be unable to successfully re-add my Hotmail account. It can't be hard, I did it when I got the ipad 1.5 years ago..... but I have done something wrong. I tried switching the ipad mini off and on again, didn't help.

now I get the message " the mail server "imap-mail.outlook.com" is not responding. Verify that you have entered the correct account into Mail settings." so apart from having no mail now in ipad, I cannot receive any and I don't know what I have done wrong. I am using my laptop now to send this, and for some reason I am unable to use the same Hotmail account on my laptop either. All is well on my phone, and I know that Hotmail account is not blocked. so as well as the ipad mini mail issue, I now have a Hotmail issue on my laptop! I am able to use my laptop to access another Hotmail account which I use without any problems. when I say Hotmail, the account these days is known as outlook. does anyone know what it going on? can anyone answer me in simple steps please? I am not a tecchie, just a user.

now it is 15 mins later and I am sure my Hotmail is not blocked, I am able to use it on my laptop but I keep getting this message above my mailbox even though I can open mail and create and send mail:
Outlook.com was not able to complete this request. Microsoft may contact you about any issues you report.
Close

and I still have the same problem with my ipad....

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Usually you should reinstall your Outlook account using the Outlook option in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars. If you didn't, try it.

This link might help you check your Mail settings:
https://ssl.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/
Just enter your email address, and it will show you everything you need to set up the account correctly.

OP
H

help_amc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

Usually you should reinstall your Outlook account using the Outlook option in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars. If you didn't, try it.

This link might help you check your Mail settings:
https://ssl.apple.com/support/mail-settings-lookup/
Just enter your email address, and it will show you everything you need to set up the account correctly.

oh J.A. bless you!! you are right. I have been a Hotmail user since about 1998 and I just cannot think of it as 'outlook' so when I went to re-add the mail account I did not select outlook. I have done so now and all is well. thanks very much! (I still remember using outlook express in the days when I had another email account as well as Hotmail so that confuses me too.... problem solved!!!!

Most reactions

Latest posts