What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with sound

OllieandMoses

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The sound on my iPad works for YouTube and the iPod but the sound no longer works for games or any other app. I've checked all the settings, made sure the volume is on, but it doesn't play. It won't beep for notifications like email when that function is turned on. I could use any help or advice.

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Double click so the multitasking tray opens on the bottom, swipe all the way to the left and check the volume rocker there.

Also go into general settings and make sure the setting for the switch above the psychical volum buttons aren't set to mute and that it's off..

OP
O

OllieandMoses

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done both. Sound won't work with apps except for audio on YouTube videos and iPod app. It won't even play on the CNN apps videos.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had this problem myself and this is what fixed it...

The easiest first way to try to solve ‘unexplained’ or ‘unusual’ problems with the iPad are:-

Force the offending app to close. If you have iOS 4.2 or 4.3 double-press the ‘Home’ button to bring up the multi-task bar at the bottom of the screen. Press *and hold* any icon until they start to ‘jiggle’. Then tap the top left-hand corner of the app that you want to close. It will ‘disappear’ from the list. Don’t panic - you’ve not deleted it, just closed it. Now tap the Home screen and the multi-task bar will disappear. Re-open the iPad’s app and see if the problem has resolved itself. If not, it’s on to possible solution number two!!
Restart the iPad. Press *and hold* the Power button. After a couple of seconds a slider control will appear asking you to confirm that you really want to switch the iPad off (this is all you’ll be doing). Slide the control to accept. A rotating white ‘bezel’ will appear in the iPad screen as the iPad powers down (it takes a few seconds, just like it would if you were shutting down your PC). When the screen of the iPad has gone completely blank, press *and hold* the Power button for a couple of seconds until the white Apple logo appears and the iPad starts to power up. This takes several seconds, so be patient. During the power up the automatic screen orientation function is disabled, so don’t panic. A few seconds before the power up is complete, the iPad plays a little ‘jingle’ and then you’re back to the Home screen. Restart the iPad’s app and see if the problem persists. Apple (and Forum members) recommend that you power down your iPad at least once a week, just as you might regularly completely switch off your PC. The normal procedure of just briefly pressing the Power button of the iPad merely puts it to ‘sleep’. Most Forum members have found that one of the two methods I’ve mentioned here cure a whole bunch of unexplained problems and are an easy first step to resolving most anything that happens on the iPad.

Tim
Scotland

OP
O

OllieandMoses

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I performed both of those a couple of times and sound won't play with any game app. It will only play for YouTube or the iPod. It won't give me email alerts either. Not sure what to do next.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I performed both of those a couple of times and sound won't play with any game app. It will only play for YouTube or the iPod. It won't give me email alerts either. Not sure what to do next.

How have you got 'Settings', 'General', 'Sounds' set up? You can turn various sounds on and off there.

Tim

OP
O

OllieandMoses

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All are clicked on and the volume is turned all the way up. All apps also have their sound options set to on.

Mattmilw

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I've had a couple of times where my Time Warner app had no sound. What has fixed it is to go into Settings, General, and change the Side Switch assignment from Lock Rotation to Mute. Then I slide the Side Switch to turn off Mute. For whatever reason, the sound returns. I can then change the setting to lock rotation, and the sound still works.

OP
O

OllieandMoses

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mattmilw said:
I've had a couple of times where my Time Warner app had no sound. What has fixed it is to go into Settings, General, and change the Side Switch assignment from Lock Rotation to Mute. Then I slide the Side Switch to turn off Mute. For whatever reason, the sound returns. I can then change the setting to lock rotation, and the sound still works.

Dude, thanks. This was the fix. Awesome!

txlegz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad sound will not work with games

I have done everything in this series of comments ... and nothing is making the sounds for the games work. I am at a loss at what to do next!

UPDATE:
Just solved it via another post in the forum... above the volume switch on the side of the iPad is another little button that puts the iPad in MUTE mode ... just like on your iPhone ... switch that back and your volume is ON ... YAY!

Last edited:

Cheri60

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks! I have had the original Ipad for over a year and you just fixed my problem. I had no idea I had it on mute, I guess I
should read all the instruction book. :)

vinayrxz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dude....even it worked for me....awesome...i was really fed up with those apps with out sound....its a simple thing but amazing....

thank you very much

theauthor445

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have done everything in this series of comments ... and nothing is making the sounds for the games work. I am at a loss at what to do next!

UPDATE:
Just solved it via another post in the forum... above the volume switch on the side of the iPad is another little button that puts the iPad in MUTE mode ... just like on your iPhone ... switch that back and your volume is ON ... YAY!

I had the same problem...thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts