What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with iBooks, etc

Gina2210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if iBooks or any other book reader app work on original iPad? Also are their any potential problems caused by jail breaking your iPad? Does it cause security issues? I' an iPad novice.

Last edited:

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Gina, I've moved your post to its own thread.

As far as I know, all the reader apps work on the original iPad.

As for Jailbreaking, it won't harm your iPad at all......check out the hacking forums here for details and some fantastic tutorials.

The Archangel

OP
G

Gina2210

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry! I was on a thread discussing VGA. Does anyone know of any book reader apps that are VGA friendly? I am a primary school teacher and I want to display books on the interactive whiteboard.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry, it wasn't clear from your post that you wanted to put the ereaders on the big screen.

I'm not aware of any of those type of apps that have the ability to show on external screens. iPad 2 offers full mirroring so it works with any app therefore you could mirror all of your ereader apps to a TV/projector but I guess that doesn't help you.

The Archangel

_Agility_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I know, all the reader apps work on the original iPad.

The Archangel
I am afraid iBooks 3 needs iOS 7 which does not run on the original iPad.
How can I get a Version of i-Books working for my original iPad?

When I get the iBooks 3 from the App store it only tells me to update my OS to 7 which I cannot do, I am stuck with 5.1.1 according to Apple support it should give me the option to download a compatible version if I go into "purchased items" but my basket is empty

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am afraid iBooks 3 needs iOS 7 which does not run on the original iPad. How can I get a Version of i-Books working for my original iPad? When I get the iBooks 3 from the App store it only tells me to update my OS to 7 which I cannot do, I am stuck with 5.1.1 according to Apple support it should give me the option to download a compatible version if I go into "purchased items" but my basket is empty
Have you tried just going straight to the app in the AppStore and attempting to download it without going to the purchased list at all. After all you have nothing to lose by trying it this way.

_Agility_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I have and it tells me I need iOS 7 which will not run on my iPad which is limited to iOS 5.1.1. After the downloadattemt it does not appear in the purchased section.

Luckily my son had "purchased" the free iBooks app in 2010 and was able to download a working version to this iPad.
I do not understand the logic behind this, though.
Why can't the same dialogue appear when I try to buy this item new, my son was asked whether he wanted to download a compatible version, it would seem quite simple to me all the components lready being there.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
...little snip...Luckily my son had "purchased" the free iBooks app in 2010 and was able to download a working version to this iPad.

I do not understand the logic behind this, though. Why can't the same dialogue appear when I try to buy this item new, my son was asked whether he wanted to download a compatible version, it would seem quite simple to me all the components lready being there.

It's a function of the AppStore and Apple's business model. The offer to download an older version of the app is new with iOS 7. This was to prevent people not able to use apps - they had purchased - on older iOS versions after the app was updated for a newer iOS. The owner loses money if the app can't be used because a developer no longer supports the older iOS version. So, Apple made it possible to "rollback" the app version to one the buyer had before or that worked with older iOS versions.

Note that this doesn't apple to all apps (developers can tell Apple not to do this) and it can apply to all apps, to include the free ones.

This allowed developers to focus on the app running the best on the new iOS. Some developers, Apple being one of them, always update their apps to run only on the most current iOS. Most of the time, I believe it's because it's easier to maintain an app for the most current iOS - you don't have to worry about old code and iOS versions. It's cheaper to maintain just one version (and by maintain I mean to ensure there are no bugs or upgrading for more features).

So, people who paid for apps that are updated past the iOS they are running won't lose out. They can continue to download/install apps they've paid for/used in the past. They aren't just throwing their money away.

This was a big and welcome change. People no longer had to "throw away" apps that got updated past the iOS they were running. And yes, it was/is a big deal for those iPad1 owners, who can't go past iOS 5.1.1. The older version of the app may not have the latest and greatest features and updates, but at least they could install it on their devices - if they had it before the updates.

But access to the older versions goes out the window if you've never "owned" the app before. Owned being whether you installed it, paid or free. Since you did not own it in the past, there is no need to ensure it still works for you on your device and iOS version. You have no investment in it.

Again, this is a new process and is a welcome change. Before, people were SOL when apps got updated. While still not the best process, it's still better than getting left behind with a legacy system and losing your money.

So, since you never owned iBooks before (you never downloaded it under your AppleID), you can't get the older version. The only one available to you is the newest one and it runs on iOS 7.

And that long story is why you couldn't get the app but your son could. Hope it clarified things a bit and answered the question. Sorry for the ramble.

TL; DR: downloading older apps you had owned in the past is a marketing tool. It keeps legacy customers happy while encouraging new customers to upgrade to new iOS versions/iPads.

Marilyn

_Agility_

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for the clarification.
I understand that Apple wants to sell new products and provide up-to-date software in the App-store and I appreciate the rollback option.
It would be nice to have a repository of older versions (like e.g. Linux distributions like debian provide) for users locked out of the newest iOS like me who are starting with a blanl iPad and App-store account.

Most reactions

Latest posts