What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help: n00b questions from Android user

Kisrita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have several Android devices but nothing from Apple. Now that an inexpensive iPad mini is about to be released, I'm considering trying out IOS and see whether I might like it more. But before I spend money, I would like to know more about the following:

1. I use shopping lists and to do lists on my phone that automatically sync with my tablet. Since I will still be using at least my android phone, I need something that can sync between Android phone and iPad. Preferably also syncing with Google Tasks. Any suggestions?
2. I use a file manager that connects over wifi to my home network and internet, and allows me to cut and paste files wirelessly between my phone/tablet, home PC, Dropbox, Box, Google drive, and Sky drive. Is there an equivalent iPad app?
3. I have several video and audio formats. Is there a player that can play all, or do I have to convert them through itunes? Can I connect to itunes wirelessly or only with usb wire?
4. I assume there are iPad apps for Google mail and calendar so I should not lose any functionality?
5. What would be the easiest way to transfer contacts? Any way to enable future updates to my contacts to sync to both Android and IOS devices?
6. I understand I will lose google navigator. What is the best alternative? I am familiar with Waze. Is there a more accurate app?
7. I know I will lose flash, I don't think thats a big deal since I understand there is an app for web pages that use flash. Right? (I'm not a gamer, so I don't care if flash based games are the exception.
8. Anything else I should be aware of?

I don't mind paying for good apps. I don't want to jail break the iPad, it will be enough challenge to learn a new OS. I would appreciate advice especially from those of you who know both platforms.
Thank you.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
1) evernote ?

2) Not sure.

3) Although the inbuilt player will only handle itunes comaptible stuff, there is plenty of third party apps that can handle most other formats. Buzz player, AV player HD, see here for more info

&5) The native Apple mail and calendar apps support Gmail, or their are various other third party apps. Just keep using gmail for your contacts, that way its easy to sync across various OS devices. For iOS Gmail contacts/calendar/mail syning see iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch - Gmail Help

6) With iOS6, Apple have there own maps application with navigation, its got its detractors, but it works fine for me for navigation. Its PoI are lacking.

7) Personally I've never found the lack of flash to be a problem for general web browsing, again there are plenty of third party browsers that support it. just don't know how good they are.

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,

1. There are several iOS apps which will sync with google tasks. (gtask, gotask, ...)
2. I use goodreader for ipad to do this. (Skydrive, dropbox, box, other WebDAV) For google drive - there is an extra app for it.
3. - 8. I second DefBref.

Knut

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have several Android devices but nothing from Apple. Now that an inexpensive iPad mini is about to be released, I'm considering trying out IOS and see whether I might like it more. But before I spend money, I would like to know more about the following:

1. I use shopping lists and to do lists on my phone that automatically sync with my tablet. Since I will still be using at least my android phone, I need something that can sync between Android phone and iPad. Preferably also syncing with Google Tasks. Any suggestions?
2. I use a file manager that connects over wifi to my home network and internet, and allows me to cut and paste files wirelessly between my phone/tablet, home PC, Dropbox, Box, Google drive, and Sky drive. Is there an equivalent iPad app?
3. I have several video and audio formats. Is there a player that can play all, or do I have to convert them through itunes? Can I connect to itunes wirelessly or only with usb wire?
4. I assume there are iPad apps for Google mail and calendar so I should not lose any functionality?
5. What would be the easiest way to transfer contacts? Any way to enable future updates to my contacts to sync to both Android and IOS devices?
6. I understand I will lose google navigator. What is the best alternative? I am familiar with Waze. Is there a more accurate app?
7. I know I will lose flash, I don't think thats a big deal since I understand there is an app for web pages that use flash. Right? (I'm not a gamer, so I don't care if flash based games are the exception.
8. Anything else I should be aware of?

I don't mind paying for good apps. I don't want to jail break the iPad, it will be enough challenge to learn a new OS. I would appreciate advice especially from those of you who know both platforms.
Thank you.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Hi Krisrita:

1. Agee with Evernote. Have used it between PC, iPad, iPod, and android phone without issue. Also has a dictaction mode which is nice.
2. If I am not mistaken, but I believe that members have mentioned Splashtop as one that can do this.

3.See what others have to say about other app options. If you get an iPad, chances are it will have the most current ios 6. The ios 5 update last October enabled users to begin to sync their iPads wirelessly with iTunes by plugging the iPad to a power source and having your iTunes open on your computer.

4. Haven't used the official google mail app, but the native mail app loaded on the iPad. I created my gmail account and haved used it without issue. My google calendar works fine between all my devices.

5. Contacts can be turned on in your gmail account as with calendar.

6. Don't use.

7. Thought I would need flash and originally bought a droid tab before the iPad. Realizes that I didn't need flash and heard of app browsers like iSwifter on the iPad to help view flash supported sites. Also see this: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/54705-flash-ipad.html

Hope that helps.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kisrita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for your help. Gtask is exactly what I was looking for. For question #2, I'm still looking for a better file manager with network and cloud access, not limited to a certain file type. I found something that is almost there for $20, but it was limited to dropbox. I will keep on looking, but if in the meantime someone has another app suggestion I would appreciate it. My other questions were all answered, thank you all!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi,

if GoodReader for iPad is not what you are still looking for then have a look at FileBrowser. I used it to access shares on windows machines, and it can access dropbox accounts as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Knut

OP
K

Kisrita

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Filebrowser sounds like what I was looking for! Now I'm ready for the announcement tomorrow! :)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

Most reactions