What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Media players not detecting shortcut

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ello, I recently finished my project mounting my external harddrive to my ipad. The problem that i have is when i copy the EXT (my folder shortcut that links to my harddrive from my ifile directory in Volumes, also the shortcut is located in media, documents and many other places.)

When I mount my external hard drive, these media players dont detect the directory shortcut

Buzz player (could go into directory, does not detect shortcut link (EXT) from external hard drive)

Avplayer (could go into directory, does not detect shortcut link (EXT) from external hard drive)

Oplayer (could go into directory, does not detect shortcut link (EXT) from external hard drive)

Xmbc (could go into directory, does not detect shortcut link (EXT) from external hard drive)

Mplayer (crashes on ipad ipad 2 5.01)

Xpod (crashes on ipad 2 5.01)

I wanted to play straight from media player without copying the movies over. Takes long over usb. Too much trouble. Is there any way to work it?

Link options of mediaplayers from movie files in ifile showing all media players including from ifile but options does not work or play avi files or mp4

Ill update if they do with h264 today.

Can someone help me?

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
not sure if a bump is illegal but I need some replies with knowledgable feedback

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
yof said:
not sure if a bump is illegal but I need some replies with knowledgable feedback

One bump is OK AFTER 48 hours. Sorry, not knowledgeable about this subject. Hopefully someone will come along who can help.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know what the deal is with the mounting thing, but I do know that you should be able to stream AVIs etc. from network drives, shares, FTP, NAS, media servers without an issue.

It sounds to me like you've complicated things too much by mounting an external drive ( not even sure that it's possible). If you are in your home environment, then you can stream over your wifi network from these various sources. If you are taking files on the move, you have to either move the files to the iPad, or have a wifi drive like the GoFlex Satellite to store them. Even with the GoFlex, you need a specific app to assist in the access of the drive.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dhewson777 said:
I don't know what the deal is with the mounting thing, but I do know that you should be able to stream AVIs etc. from network drives, shares, FTP, NAS, media servers without an issue.

It sounds to me like you've complicated things too much by mounting an external drive ( not even sure that it's possible). If you are in your home environment, then you can stream over your wifi network from these various sources. If you are taking files on the move, you have to either move the files to the iPad, or have a wifi drive like the GoFlex Satellite to store them. Even with the GoFlex, you need a specific app to assist in the access of the drive.

I'm Deployed in afghan land and I wanted some solutions without the wifi. I have only iPad so there's only so much I can do

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an external HD (500GB) hooked up to my iPad2. I'm using the camera connection kit and the y-usb cable to supply power to the drive as described in this thread.

I can't post links. See next post.

Only difference is that I use an external Lithium battery (from New Trent) as the HD power supply. I can play movies from the HD using iFile (from Cydia).

Jeff

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I don't have a y-cord, I have usb doggle settings. I just want to play off of iFile with HDD connected. Or atleast with the shortcut played by an external app not ifile.

Can anyone verify that having your hard drive FAT32 is no difference from HFS will let you play movies without moving them on the ipad, instead playing them connected to the harddrive with iFile? Is there anyway to modify the existing ifile video player to another video player app extension?

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You'll need the Y-cord because the iPad can't supply enough power to the HDD by itself. If you have an HDD with external power that may be different. I just use iFile to play movies directly off the HDD. There are probably limitations on what types of movie files, bitrates, and resolution. So far I'm playing .m4v or .mov files that are resized from my blurays using AnyDVD HD, BD Rebuilder, and RibBot 264 for the ripping/conversion to movie only file/ and resizing.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
johnson can you try to play avi files from other app players too or is it just mov and m4v with ifile default player?

You'll need the Y-cord because the iPad can't supply enough power to the HDD by itself. If you have an HDD with external power that may be different. I just use iFile to play movies directly off the HDD. There are probably limitations on what types of movie files, bitrates, and resolution. So far I'm playing .m4v or .mov files that are resized from my blurays using AnyDVD HD, BD Rebuilder, and RibBot 264 for the ripping/conversion to movie only file/ and resizing.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jwjohnson said:
I just tried playing an .avi and it does not work.

Can you try a mp4 or h264 file that you can test out with the y cord method playing default Ifile player from hard drive or other app players from hard drive?

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
.mp4, .mov, and .m4v work fine as long as they are sized to play on the iPad.

OP
Y

yof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So all those formats .mp4, .mov, and .m4v can be played directly with the source still on the hard drive? Or do you have to move the movie to the ipad to play it?

jwjohnson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can play them straight off the hard drive. They won't show up in the iPad video app, you have to play them using the player built in to iFile.

Most reactions