What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad music app idea

veggiop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fivefingers.me
Alright so i was wondering, now that an external hard drive can be connected to and ipad via the ipad camera connection kit and a little bit of terminal use i was thinking that maybe a new ipod.app could be developed. The main difference would be that the new app could "watch" a folder and update the library as music files are added or removed from the folder. In my opinion this would be a good idea because you could then use an external hard drive as added storage and be able to use a user friendly app that has a nice GUI. This feature is included in many mediaplayer applications on pcs so it should be able to be done with an ipad, especially since you can use ifile to manipulate your directories easily on your ipad. It would also get rid of syncing your ipad. You could download a song from the internet and automatically add it to your library without syncing. Anyone else think this would be a good idea?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your post and welcome to the Forum! You can already download music directly to the iPad without the need to sync. From the iPad’s native iTunes app you can purchase movies, music and apps and download them directly to your iPad - no PC or sync in sight! I sync’d my iPad ‘Day 1’ - had no choice - but never done a sync operation since. If you want to download other music, then a third-party app such as GoodReader - the iPad’s ‘Swiss Army Knife’ can download, say, mp3 files from the Internet (legal ones I hope) or can transfer music files directly from your PC/Mac using either USB or WiFi.

Yes, you can connect external storage to the iPad but, as far as I’m aware, it’s not possible to transfer anything other than photos or videos. Maybe other more experienced Forum members will know more about this.

I hope you enjoy your iPad. Please keep posting your interesting ideas, we love to hear them. We’re all iPad enthusiasts here.

Tim
Scotland

Reaction score
@Tim

Not that this is any of my business, but you don't backup your iPad at all and at the same time advertise iTunes as the option to buy music and videos? As you are probably aware does the license agreement under which the entertainment providers agreed to sell in the iTunes Store only allow the user to download the item once. This is in contrast to apps, which you can download as many times as you want. So a backup is a must, in case the iPad gets lost or breaks.

@OP

The concept of the music app you describe does sound neat, but as you already noticed does not exist yet. IFile is as close as you can get, you can play music straight from your harddrive with ifile, but the interface is not as easy to use, as it could be.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@Tim

Not that this is any of my business, but you don't backup your iPad at all and at the same time advertise iTunes as the option to buy music and videos? As you are probably aware does the license agreement under which the entertainment providers agreed to sell in the iTunes Store only allow the user to download the item once. This is in contrast to apps, which you can download as many times as you want. So a backup is a must, in case the iPad gets lost or breaks.

@OP

The concept of the music app you describe does sound neat, but as you already noticed does not exist yet. IFile is as close as you can get, you can play music straight from your harddrive with ifile, but the interface is not as easy to use, as it could be.

Thanks for your comment and, yes, you are absolutely right - so I apologise to the first poster. I have 'sync-phobia'! Plus - I have too much faith in the reliability of the hardware!!

Sorry to have misled you and thanks again to the last poster. Yes, of course, you should back up your videos and music. I must overcome my fear of sync'ing - basically it's because my brain has been operating at ¼ - ½ its advertised clock rate recently (low power mode).

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions

Latest posts