What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help me find "handwriting to speech" app for dying uncle with cancer

maverick9999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SUMMARY: LOOKING FOR APP THAT WILL CONVERT HANDWRITING TO A COMPUTER GENERATED SPEAKING VOICE.

I spent hours trying to find an app to help him and can't find one. My uncle had a tracheotomy and can no longer speak. I am looking for an app that will allow him to handwrite messages and have it convert it to a speaking voice so he can engage in conversations with us. He is not the best typer so the 'texting to voice' apps won't work for him. I did manage to find MANY 'text to voice' and 'handwrite to text' apps but need one that does BOTH ('handwriting to voice'). ANY HELP WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED IN THIS DIFFICULT TIME - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Not iPad but I did find this Swype Android Beta Adds Dragon Speech, Handwriting Recognition - Personal-tech - Smart Phones - BYTE

Swype Android Beta Adds Dragon Speech, Handwriting Recognition

Nuance's Swype app offers a new winning combination for fast typing on Android devices: gestures and Dragon speech recognition, with handwriting recognition thrown in for good measure.

Not 100% what you are wanting but as close as I could find. Maybe approach one of the text to speech etc devs?

Maybe even approach above dev above about their software, as it nearly does what you want except text to speech, which for them I wouldn't have though would be too hard to do.

Last edited:

Borzei001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
at ......... we are almost ready to release HandySpeech iPad application that does exactly that you need: handwriting to speech. We are planning to release it next week and expecting Apple approval in about 10 days after that.

Please check it out and stay tuned.

Best regards and good luck. Please send me a private message with your e-mail - as soon as an app is approved I will send you a promo code.

Last edited by a moderator:

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
at ......... we are almost ready to release HandySpeech iPad application that does exactly that you need: handwriting to speech. We are planning to release it next week and expecting Apple approval in about 10 days after that.

Please check it out and stay tuned.

Best regards and good luck. Please send me a private message with your e-mail - as soon as an app is approved I will send you a promo code.

Please refrain from posting external links.

Thank you.
Ski...
iPadforums Moderator | iPhoneForums Moderator

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Borzei001,

could you please announce the iTunes appearance of your new app here?
So that we will be informed about it?
And I guess from where you are (New England) that speech output is English only?

Thanks, Knut.

Borzei001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Knut
We will definitely announce the iTunes availability here. Actually in addition to English the users can purchase 11 language packs including German. In case of German or any other supported languages the app will use the German dictionary for handwriting recognition and speak the words in German in either male or female voice

Thanks
Boris

Borzei001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Handwriting-to-speech application for people with speech difficulties

We just released HandySpeech™ application for people with speech disabilities. HandySpeech™ is available on the app store. The only handwriting-to-speech application for the iPad, it provides a unique opportunity for people with disabilities to communicate.
This assistive technology application supplements or replaces speech for people with spoken language difficulties. HandySpeech™ helps people with one or more speech or language impairments, including autism, stuttering, stroke, muscular dystrophy, post-operative voice difficulties, and others. Users write what they want to say in any one of 13 languages and the software converts the handwriting into speech.

· Handwriting Recognition Technology© by PhatWare Corp
· Text-to-Speech powered by iSpeech, Inc
· Adaptive Technology application
· Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) application
· Context analyzer: automatic correction based on context
· Multilingual support with 13 major languages in a male or female voice
· Adaptive learning of the user writing patterns
· Cursive, PRINT, and mixEd handwriting style recognition
· Use of simple finger gestures to insert special characters such as space and return.
· Alternative keyboard input

Please visit our Facebook page, web site, YouTube, or follow us at Twitter for more info.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kricke

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi Boris,

thanks for sharing the info.

Do you plan to have a somehow "lite" version of Handyspeech?
So that people can test drive and see whether the app helps them in the way they need it?
"Verbally" uses not so sophisticated voices for their lite version and you can upgrade to better voices once you decide to use it for good.

Knut

Borzei001

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Knut,
Thank you for visiting and "like" our Facebook page. We do not have specific plans for the "lite" version of HandySpeech at the moment since there is a significant expense associated with server-side text-to-speech support.
However it's a good point and we will look into that.

Thanks again
Boris

kearnser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kricke said:
Hi Boris,

thanks for sharing the info.

Do you plan to have a somehow "lite" version of Handyspeech?
So that people can test drive and see whether the app helps them in the way they need it?
"Verbally" uses not so sophisticated voices for their lite version and you can upgrade to better voices once you decide to use it for good.

Knut

For handwriting to speech, you might make do with MyScript Memo, which converts handwriting to text.
Ed

Most reactions

Latest posts