What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help! Ipad 1 not connecting to wif, other devices doi

Ruthiebabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My ipad 1 won't connect to my home wifi all of a sudden. It connects to BT FON and BT Open zone if I let it but they are weak signals and next to useless so I have disabled them (forget network).

My other devices connect ok to home network (laptop, phone) so I think it's the ipad.

It is asking me for the password but when I enter it it says unable to connect. The password is correct and I've even tried previous passwords just in case.

I tried updating to the latest Itunes. No different. Do i need to update to IOS 5? But I can't do that (or indeed much else!) without wifi!

Please, please...any ideas? I am at a loss.

TIA, Ruth

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, a couple of things to try, if you haven't already. Reboot your router. Forget your network in the settings app then when your router has rebooted you can try to connect again. Check that there are no updates available for your router.

If none of that works then let us know and also let us know what router you are using?

The Archangel

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, it's the router, always, I had this a couple of days ago and resetting the router and iPad corrected it. It's real weird as the devices were working previously before.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, I had this with my iPhone 4 this morning. I held them a long time before the apple sign appeared. Thank god, I was posting it to Tesco otherwise.

OP
R

Ruthiebabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. I should have said that I have tried all of that! (Sorry been away this weekend or would have replied earlier).

Yes I have rebooted the router and also rest the ipad. Just done both again now. Remember that my other devices are connecting to the home wifi okay, and also that I have installed Itunes 10.5 and it has wiped and rest my ipad...but I don't think this is the cause as I had the problem before upgrading itunes (that was why I was trying that).

What is happening is that I have 3 networks showing. I have told it to forget openzone and btfon, leaving only my home network for it to try. There is no facility to tell it to forget that one. (I wonder why?) It says that known networks are joined automatically but it tries and fails. By that I mean that the revolving wheel appears, goes round a bit then disappears.

If I try to join myself using my password it says unable to connect.

I have just gone into my ISP account via my PC and chaged my password to see if that helps but to no avail.

My router is a BT home hub, less than 8 months old. I have no idea how to check if it needs updating but think it does it automatically as there is an 'upgrading' light on the hub with a sticker next to it saying'do not turn off or restart when light flashing'

I am at a loss and desperate for a solution.

Please can anyone help? TIA!

Last edited:

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My iPad did the same. It wouldn't let me go onto main BT home hub. It kept going onto BTFon as well. It kept asking for password when I asked for main BT account and didn't recognise it. I deleted all open apps, I switched off the wi-fi totally, did hard reset, switched off router for 10 seconds and then switched on wi-fi again and this recognised the password. Don't know what I did right but I persisted with it. Just keep trying.

OP
R

Ruthiebabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you mean by deleted all open apps? And by hard reset do tou mean holding down both ipad buttons together?

I had hoped to do it as you did but this has been days now and I am getting nowhere.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay. Double click the home button and the apps that are open in the background will appear. Press an app until all jiggle, then press the red sign that appears on all of them. This will close the apps. Hold the home and close buttons at the same time until the slider appears to close the iPad. Slide it and then when it goes black then press both buttons together until the apple sign appears.

Hope this helps but if not get back to us. Get back to us either way actually. Members need to know if this works. I'm all out after this so hopefully the genius members will help.

OP
R

Ruthiebabe

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks but no, none are open. I haven't been using any since it reset cos of the wifi. And yes, as I said I've reset too.

Let's hope a genius comes along soon.

Yoohoo geniuses!!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Tim Spracklen helped me with wi-fi once. Maybe worth a private message?

Most reactions

Latest posts