What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP - how do I create a custom image on the upper left of the status bar?

ttipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trust me I have tried (made sure it was the right specs etc)... Even tried creating a new theme folder in ifile and no luck (the custom folder showed up in winterboard and I made sure it was at the top of the list, but no luck)! . I am aware of "make it mine," but it only changes text...Whew! Ideas? thoughts? help! FYI I am using a wifi only iPad 2, (not sure if that makes a difference) Thank you.

I love my JB iPad!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My smiley face is a Cydia tweak called A Smiley Wi-Fi (which is activated through Winterboard). It replaces the stock [and tiny] pictures of the WiFi bars.

Although there are a couple of other tweaks to change the WiFi icon, I've never found anything that can/will put a picture in the text field [that MakeItMine, for example, can change].

Marilyn

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can put emoji icons in there if you enable the emoji keyboard. Look at all my screenshots. That's how I get the Alien icon into MakeItMine on my status bar as well as prefixing all my folder names with an icon. The "emojiPad" tweak will enable the emoji keyboard to be activated in "Settings > General > Keyboards".

If on the other hand the OP means changing the Signal Bars (these are the top left of a 3G iPad), then those need to be in the "UIImages" folder within your theme, and every file must be perfectly named. You can't just make stuff up.

OP, what locations and names are you giving the files?

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can put emoji icons in there if you enable the emoji keyboard.

:smacks forehead:

Aw, man! I've used emoji icons there before! How could I have forgotten?! Plus, I've admired your screenshots...

At this rate - I am going to have a very sore forehead. Thanks for the reminder, f4780y.

Marilyn

OP
ttipad

ttipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip re the emoji. I already had the emoji keyboard but did not realise that I could actually put the icons into MIM. I put an emoticon of the dog and my dog's name :)
You were asking me how i identify the image...i use this directory: /var/stash/Themes.oaDnSR/customstatusbar and the location is ??? is /var/library/themes/customstatusbar/Chewy.png. (I think that is right)
the name is FOS_CARRIER_Chewy.png. Is that right? What I am trying to do is to put a picture of my dog there.
btw there is a key lock on my status bar i don't know what i did but now i don't have the time or date there any longer....

I love my JB iPad!!

OP
ttipad

ttipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I meant to say FSO not FOS. Am i also supposed to use the Default_CARRIER_...I got the FSO name from looking up status bar icons that I installed from cydia (in ifile).

I love my JB iPad!!

OP
ttipad

ttipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MISTAKE i wrote the wrong directory it's : /var/stash/Themes.oaDnsR/customstatusbar.theme/Folders/SpringBoard.app

and the name is FSO_CARRIER_IPAD.png

I redid all that and it did not work. I read that maybe i should NOT put it in /var but in /private then var... i'll try that and see what happens! Why does it have to be so difficult:(

I love my JB iPad!!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a 3G iPad, or wifi only?

Also, you probably need to put it inside your theme folder in "Bundles/com.apple.springboard" rather than "folders/springboard.app" That definitely won't work.

Last edited:
OP
ttipad

ttipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok i checked and it's in the /private var , bc var is var. I checked to make sure that is the same directory as the status image i downloaded from cydia and it is the same...neither one worked though .. this may be a lost cause.

I love my JB iPad!!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Are you trying to replace the WiFi bars with your custom image?

If so, try this. Set up a theme folder (name it whatever you want, but it must end in .theme). Then, inside that theme folder, put another folder titled UImages. Inside that folder, you will need 8 PNG picture files (that are 21 x 21 pixels in size). They must be titled

Black_0_WifiBars.png
Black_1_WifiBars.png
Black_2_WifiBars.png
Black_3_WifiBars.png
Silver_0_WifiBars.png
Silver_1_WifiBars.png
Silver_2_WifiBars.png
Silver_3_WifiBars.png

Put this into the themes folder of your iPad (/var/stash/Themes.../yourtheme.theme/UIImages/Black_0_WifiBars.png [<--- then Black_1_WifiBars.png, etc.]). Remember that everything must be exactly named, to include upper and lowercase lettering.

Then, open Winterboard, select your new theme, respring and you should be all set.

Now, if you put only one image in there, named all those different names, you won't see any changes for WiFi strength. So, either use different images to signify the bar level - or just be happy you got an image in the status bar (and it'll never change to show signal strength).

If replacing the WiFi bar isn't what you mean ... never mind and I don't know how to help. If you need more clarification - let me know...

Good luck.

Marilyn

OP
ttipad

ttipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks M. I'll give it a go and tell u how it went!

I love my JB iPad!!

OP
ttipad

ttipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Marilyn, I did it!!! I finally managed to put the pic of my dog on the upper left where the wifi bars are. I accessed ifile through my computer rather than on the iPad itself! Thanks so much everyone for the info on the forums! He's a brown shih tzu so it might be a bit difficult to see him on the status bar!

image-3518300410.png

I love my JB iPad!!

Most reactions

Latest posts