What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Port Chester, NY - iPad as a speech device

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello from Port Chester, NY. I am not able to speak due to a stroke I had at the age of 13. While I do have a DynaVox Vmax speech device to communicate with, I want to get an iPad and utilize the app Proloquo2go to supplement the Vmax. While the Vmax is great to use in short situations with it's 5 to 6 hour battery life, the iPad would be used for longer situations (such as outings or when I am invited to parties) with the iPad's 10 hour battery life. Besides, who would not want all those other cool features and great apps of the iPad!

Regards,

Gino J. Piazza

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm happy to think of the iPad making peoples lives better.

Just consider the price of Proloquo2go in the purchase price, I recall it's almost 400 dollars.

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
There is another program for this called AutoVerbal. It only has 10 customizable slots. (It has a bunch of preset button for the other stuff though) Costs a dollar. How much customization does the program you're talking about have? I'm interested because if I find a good one I can replace my brothers 6000$ dynavox with a much less expensive and more versatile iPad. The price on speech boxes like those are criminal.

Last edited:

ravynshadow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gino I just took a look at the app store there is a program called auto verbal pro talking soundboard it is $4.99 it has pre programed buttons and text to speech it says it works for non-verbal patients but I really can't tell you anything more if you know someone with an iPad maybe they could demo it for you. The reviews are good from parents and teachers of non-verbal children.

Last edited:
OP
G

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm happy to think of the iPad making peoples lives better.

Just consider the price of Proloquo2go in the purchase price, I recall it's almost 400 dollars.

You are thinking of the Mac program Proloquo. The iPod Touch, iPhone, and now Pad app Proloquo2go is only $189.99.

OP
G

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is another program for this called AutoVerbal. It only has 10 customizable slots. (It has a bunch of preset button for the other stuff though) Costs a dollar. How much customization does the program you're talking about have? I'm interested because if I find a good one I can replace my brothers 6000$ dynavox with a much less expensive and more versatile iPad. The price on speech boxes like those are criminal.

I will make sure to check out AutoVerbal. Do you have a link? Proloquo2go is very, very customizable. Go to Youtube an do a search on "proloquo2go". You will find 4 or 5 videos on how to customize every aspect of Proloquo2go (text, color buttons, size of buttons, and most importantly, how to add your own pages, buttons, and words). Hope this helps you and your brother :)

OP
G

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score

By the way,the link to Proloquo2go is Proloquo2Go: Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) for iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.

OP
G

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Gino I just took a look at the app store there is a program called auto verbal pro talking soundboard it is $4.99 it has pre programed buttons and text to speech it says it works for non-verbal patients but I really can't tell you anything more if you know someone with an iPad maybe they could demo it for you. The reviews are good from parents and teachers of non-verbal children.

Thanks for the tip. I will look into it.

Most reactions

Latest posts