What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello from Port Chester, NY - iPad as a speech device

OP
G

ginopiazza49

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can go to AutoVerbal app for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch from No Tie Software and see a demo video of the auto verbal talking soundboard in use hope this helps

I looked at the demo of AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro. The app looked pretty interesting. However, then I read the CultofMac review Cult Favorite: Auto Verbal Pro Lets Devices Speak For You | Cult of Mac. From what I understand, AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro requires WiFi access in order to use hi-fi voices. However, this results in a slight delay since the hi-fi voice files are on NoTie's servers. If the is no WiFi access, AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro defaults to low-fi voices.

Therefore, I will stick with the Proloquo2go app when I get my iPad! I cannot afford "delays" or "defaulting to low-fi voices" being that "speak" to children at local elementary schools. Something that I am happy to say that I have been doing for the past two years now. :)

NoTie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can go to AutoVerbal.com and see a demo video of the auto verbal talking soundboard in use hope this helps

I looked at the demo of AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro. The app looked pretty interesting. However, then I read the CultofMac review. From what I understand, AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro requires WiFi access in order to use hi-fi voices. However, this results in a slight delay since the hi-fi voice files are on NoTie's servers. If the is no WiFi access, AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro defaults to low-fi voices.

Therefore, I will stick with the Proloquo2go app when I get my iPad! I cannot afford "delays" or "defaulting to low-fi voices" being that "speak" to children at local elementary schools. Something that I am happy to say that I have been doing for the past two years now. :)

Folks,

I am the developer of AutoVerbal Pro and I just wanted to answer any questions, and offer a free promo code for the app to anyone who wants, as Gino has done, so we can get constructive feedback. Indeed the app has been updated 4 times since June 10th, based on feedback.

The app does not require the Internet or WiFi to use. The same app works on an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad (it really shines on the larger real estate of the iPad). The literally hundreds of built-in words and phrases speak using high quality voices, Male and Female.

In addition, the app lets you type messages to be spoken using text-to-speech. Those phrases are spoken using built-in voices (Male and Female) or, if the user chooses and Internet is available, higher quality Internet-based voices can be used. The reviewer used an older, slower iPod touch, and on an iPad or iPhone 4, the delay is less of an issue.

Proloquo has a definite place, but it costs as much as an iPod touch. We feel there is room for something else that offers a little different experience.

Linkreincarnate

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.linkreincarnate.com
You can go to AutoVerbal.com and see a demo video of the auto verbal talking soundboard in use hope this helps

I looked at the demo of AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro. The app looked pretty interesting. However, then I read the CultofMac review. From what I understand, AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro requires WiFi access in order to use hi-fi voices. However, this results in a slight delay since the hi-fi voice files are on NoTie's servers. If the is no WiFi access, AutoVerbal Talking Soundboard Pro defaults to low-fi voices.

Folks,

I am the developer of AutoVerbal Pro and I just wanted to answer any questions, and offer a free promo code for the app to anyone who wants, as Gino has done, so we can get constructive feedback. Indeed the app has been updated 4 times since June 10th, based on feedback.

The app does not require the Internet or WiFi to use. The same app works on an iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad (it really shines on the larger real estate of the iPad). The literally hundreds of built-in words and phrases speak using high quality voices, Male and Female.

In addition, the app lets you type messages to be spoken using text-to-speech. Those phrases are spoken using built-in voices (Male and Female) or, if the user chooses and Internet is available, higher quality Internet-based voices can be used. The reviewer used an older, slower iPod touch, and on an iPad or iPhone 4, the delay is less of an issue.

Proloquo has a definite place, but it costs as much as an iPod touch. We feel there is room for something else that offers a little different experience.
I have your app and my number one wanted feature is the ability to add unlimited custom buttons. No offense but ten is simply anemic. We should be able to record the voice ourselves and apply a custom pictures to to the button representing it. My brother responds better to these types of devices when its an actual picture of the device he wants (instead of clip art) and recording is so much easier than typing out everything you could possibly want someone to be able to say. When we use the dynavox we add things as we go places so he can talk about them later easily. Plus text to speech never gets proper nouns and brands right. Having the ability to record your own button would fix (or at least work around) that.
The ability to download and store the hifi voices in advance would be nice too.
Finally instead of rows with related ideas just put related ideas on separate pages (in the same way the iPad os handles apps but with titles on each page) and allow the end user to customize what tiles are in what group. For instance with my brother we have his speech box set up into categories that talk about places, or activities, or things. Each in their own page. Definitely add a favorites and most often used page as well.
You do all that and you'll have a dynavox killer on your hands...

Last edited:

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excellent discussion guys and I'm sorry I can't contribute.
My wife however is very interested as she manages a hospice where communication with patients with speech difficulties is a frequent problem.
As an iPad evangelist I'm interested in the possibilities it could provide.
So please keep us all updated with your findings.

NoTie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have your app and my number one wanted feature is the ability to add unlimited custom buttons. No offense but ten is simply anemic. We should be able to record the voice ourselves and apply a custom pictures to to the button representing it. My brother responds better to these types of devices when its an actual picture of the device he wants (instead of clip art) and recording is so much easier than typing out everything you could possibly want someone to be able to say. When we use the dynavox we add things as we go places so he can talk about them later easily. Plus text to speech never gets proper nouns and brands right. Having the ability to record your own button would fix (or at least work around) that.
The ability to download and store the hifi voices in advance would be nice too.
Finally instead of rows with related ideas just put related ideas on separate pages (in the same way the iPad os handles apps but with titles on each page) and allow the end user to customize what tiles are in what group. For instance with my brother we have his speech box set up into categories that talk about places, or activities, or things. Each in their own page. Definitely add a favorites and most often used page as well.
You do all that and you'll have a dynavox killer on your hands...

Thanks. Those are all planned enhancements, so I'm glad to hear they will be appreciated! That's why we priced it so low, so we could reach a larger audience and gather such feedback. We're on our fifth update, based on user feedback, and it's been out one month. Also, we will be submitting Spanish and French versions this week.

Most reactions