What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NY 3G service for iPad 2

Jazzer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

This is my first post as a new member here. I recently purchased an iPad 2. After some thought I opted for the AT&T 3G version. I have only had it for a few days (so I can still exchange it). I love the device, but am wondering if perhaps Verizon would have been a better choice for me. I would like to hear some others opinions/experiences, especially from those who work or live in New York City. As an aside, I determined that 3G service rather than a MiFi makes most sense for me in terms of cost and my use, so there is no need to get into a discussion about that option.

Here is my experience -- I commute from the northern suburbs by train to downtown New York. Sometimes I find AT&T to be extremely fast, but typically during peak times (lunch, rush hours, etc.) the service can grind to a halt so as to be unusable. Using SpeedNet, I got a reading while in Grand Central Station around 10:00p.m. last night of 5.4 mbps download, which was amazing (although very temporary and not typical). During lunchtime there were times I couldn't even get a network connection and got readings as low as 3 kbps.

It seems to me that when the network isn't clogged, I can probably get faster speeds with AT&T, perhaps significantly so. AT&T also gives me the option of international use by swapping out the microsim card (I do travel for work internationally a couple of times a year and occasionally otherwise, but don't really know if I would use this option since I typically would have wifi -- but it's a nice option). I wonder, however, given that most of my 3G use would be while commuting or while at work (and otherwise, mostly in the US), if I wouldn't wind up with a more reliable, consistent and less frustrating experience (even if somewhat slower under optimal conditions) by going with a Verizon unit.
I don't expect to be trying to stream with a 3G connection (except perhaps an occasional short video if something is related to an article I am reading).

Anyway, any user experiences and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Most reactions