What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heads up for potential iPad 3 (4G) buyers from Australia

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Done a little research to find out if Telstra's 4G network would work on the new iPad and found out that it won't, keep this in mind before purchasing.

According to Apple’s published specifications, the frequencies the iPad will use for 4G are 700MHz and 2100MHz these differ from the 1800MHz frequency used by Telstra.

Looks like the only way us Aussies can use 4G on the iPad would be if one of our telcos roll out a 4G network of the required frequencies, or Apple releases regional versions of the iPad with different 4G LTE chipsets (both unlikely).

SporkLover

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it's advertised on apples iPad site.

Excerpt:

"4G LTE is supported only on AT&T and Verizon networks in the U.S. and on Bell, Rogers, and Telus networks in Canada. Data plans sold separately. See your carrier for details."

I'm not sure why apple didn't include other LTE bands.....not sure if it was a cost thing or technical issue.

boltor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is a massive debate going on about this topic on whirlpool.

The new iPad will certainly be faster (double?) the speed of the iPad 2 on Telstra NextG due to having DC-HSDPA, but of course it won't have LTE.

There is some conjecture that DC-HSDPA can be classed as 4G.

In any case, whilst not LTE speeds, the new iPad will certainly be faster on Telstra NextG.

OP
iRager

iRager

iPF Novice
Reaction score
boltor said:
There is a massive debate going on about this topic on whirlpool.

The new iPad will certainly be faster (double?) the speed of the iPad 2 on Telstra NextG due to having DC-HSDPA, but of course it won't have LTE.

There is some conjecture that DC-HSDPA can be classed as 4G.

In any case, whilst not LTE speeds, the new iPad will certainly be faster on Telstra NextG.
I guess it's better than nothing

boltor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iRager - looks like I can't send either a PM or post a link! too new, and not to be trusted!

anyway, I'm sure you can work the url out from this: forums. whirlpool. net. au, then go to the ipad forum, and look for the iPad 3 and 4G (LTE) thread

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
iRager - looks like I can't send either a PM or post a link! too new, and not to be trusted!

anyway, I'm sure you can work the url out from this: forums. whirlpool. net. au, then go to the ipad forum, and look for the iPad 3 and 4G (LTE) thread

Welcome to our forums. Just for the record it is nothing to do about trust our forums do not allow links or pm until you make 4 posts however in saying that please read our rules regarding links. Enjoy the forums .. Col Brisbane , Australia

Most reactions

Latest posts