What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI adapter thoughts

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay...to clear up some confusion:

The VGA adapter requires a 9-pin VGA cable that goes from the adapter to a compatible 9-pin receptacle on a monitor or a projector. On the iPad 1, it does NOT natively mirror systemwide what you see on the screen but DOES mirror/output display for certain APPS (that have been coded for it, and there are quite a few-that will video out and some that will mirror-I've got a list going). I reckon it's the same way with the iPad 2, but I haven't gotten mine yet so I can't try it to confirm. Unless it's known that mirroring is system-wide enabled for VGA output as well.

As for an A/V adapter using RGB cables, I've not tried that, either, but I understand that it, too, doesn't mirror natively on the iPad 1, but will output display for certain apps to a TV, monitor or projector.

The new A/V adapter is purely HDMI output to TVs and projectors, as well as some monitors with HDMI inputs. THAT will natively mirror everything on the iPad 2. As for the iPad 1, well...let me tell you that I've been playing with the HDMI adapter on my first gen iPad and several apps DO mirror through HDMI and others just video out (all quite nicely!). Here are some observations using the HDMI adapter with my iPad 1:

Star Walk -VGA and HDMI: no mirror but entire app displayed on external display.
You Tube - VGA and HDMI: video out
Perfect Browser -VGA and HDMI: mirror
Sketchbook Pro -VGA and HDMI: mirror
pics-slide show only VGA and HDMI
Penultimate -VGA and HDMI: mirror
NASA TV -VGA and HDMI: video output only, the rest of the app doesn't display on external.
Laser Lights -HDMI mirror (haven't tried it with VGA yet)
Sky Safari -VGA and HDMI: mirror
Star map HD -VGA and HDMI: mirror
Atomic Browser -VGA only
TWiT Netcast Network - HDMI video out (the splash screen on the app mirrors though) - haven't tried VGA
Live Cams HD. -HDMI: video out (the splash screen on the app mirrors though) - haven't tried VGA

FYI: I just started a new "list" thread called "VGA / HDMI video out & mirroring: APPS THAT DO on the First Gen iPad" in the "iPad General Discussions" section. If you discover apps that will video out or mirror out using the HDMI adapter not he iPad 1, mention them there too.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Does the HDMI adapter work with Crackle?

David Parker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Anyone tried this cable on a jailbroken iPad1 running [Cydia's] DisplayOut? Does it mirror?

I ask because I'm still scared of setting the time on my VCR ... and this one adaptor doesn't intimidate me ... much. I just want to hook up my HDTV and show pictures and stuff. But, hardware always gets me completely confused! :eek:

Thanks.

Marilyn

Yes I did. It mirrors the display of the iPad. This was the only reason I had for jail breaking.

tackyterry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to mirror to my i Mac? All I have been able to do is back up. Does this require additional cabling for i Pad 2?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is there a way to mirror to my i Mac? All I have been able to do is back up. Does this require additional cabling for i Pad 2?

There are two solutions (at least) out for this: Reflection and AirServer. They run on your Mac (or Windows PC) and make it appear as an AirPlay device to the iPad.

I have Reflection, mostly because it came out first. I like it, but have not really compared it with AirServe, so you may want to do your own research.

tackyterry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There are two solutions (at least) out for this: Reflection and AirServer. They run on your Mac (or Windows PC) and make it appear as an AirPlay device to the iPad.

I have Reflection, mostly because it came out first. I like it, but have not really compared it with AirServe, so you may want to do your own research.

Thanks I will try those and let you know.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:

I'd not seen these before, thanks for sharing, a great post as always!

The Archangel

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

If you combine one of these with a screen recorder on the computer, you can make demos. I got it mostly for this reason. Well, justification, since I haven't actually used it to do a demo.

I've been playing with a newer app called Display Recorder that will let you do the same thing without a computer. Interesting, but slowish and limited.

wrb2085

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought the AV Digital Adapter and can get beautiful video, but no audio. Very frustrated! I have an iPad2. Help!!!

Most reactions