What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HDMI adapter thoughts

Emodracer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was thinking about getting the HDMI adapter for my iPad. But before I spend the bucks, I was wondering if anyone who has bought one could share their thoughts.
Also, it works the same with the first iPad and iPad 2 right?
I have the original iPad.

Thanks for any help!!!!

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How is the quality on the tv? If you are watching a movie you bought on ITunes, is the picture good?

willywonka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the main difference between the VGA adapter and the digital AV adapter. I have a hdtv.

ckole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good on iPad. Great on iPad 2. I have both. Hulu worked on my iPad 2 and I don't think this works on the iPad one. The screen mirroring pretty much takes care of any issues. (at least what I have seen so far). Netflix is great. More and more options will be available soon. I a, on the road a lot so using this in a hotel room is great. Also worked great on my iPhone 4. I watched an entire movie on Netflix with no issues. Only downside is your screen needs to be on all the time. Meaning phone/iPad.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
I am under the impression that the AV adaptor is your typical Red Yellow White configuration(for older tvs) and that the VGA is for hooking up to a computer monitor inlet on a hard drive tower, desktop, etc. VGA is not for tvs, AV is not for computers. Each adaptor suits a different mainframe, if you will.

HDMIs are solely for tvs(I think??) None of my computers are even close to new, so this I'm not sure about that. New tvs do have AV jacks as well though. Our new tvs have both HDMI & AV inputs.

The AV adapter IS for HDMI.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:
While you can hook AV's up & get HD quality picture(if you have R/Y/W/Blue/Green), HDMI is different. HDMI sends more detailed info via the cable(like DVR menus & Channel extras). AV does not do this. AVs are single pins that only complete an electrical circuit between 2 points(audio/visual), whereas HDMI actually sends detailed "computer like" info to your tv.

I have the Digital AV Adapter, ordered when I ordered my iPad 2, and that is what Apple calls their HDMI adapter :) But when I ordered, my order confirmation just said AV Adapter. Had it hooked up to HDMI on my television earlier this evening.

Last edited:

elgerber

iPF Noob
Reaction score
cherhall said:
The AV adapter IS for HDMI.

While you can hook AV's up & get HD quality picture(if you have R/Y/W/Blue/Green), HDMI is different. HDMI sends more detailed info via the cable(like DVR menus & Channel extras). AV does not do this. AVs are single pins that only complete an electrical circuit between 2 points(audio/visual), whereas HDMI actually sends detailed "computer like" info to your tv.

Apples digital AV adapters is not R/Y/W, it hooks and HDMI cable up to your Ipad.

BigDukeSix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nakedbabytoes said:

I have the Digital AV Adapter, ordered when I ordered my iPad 2, and that is what Apple calls their HDMI adapter :) But when I ordered, my order confirmation just said AV Adapter. Had it hooked up to HDMI on my television earlier this evening.

Does it work as well as they say it will? I would like to hear how it works with an IPHone 4 as well.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't have my iPad 2 yet, it's due today, so only tried a movie, not mirroring. The movie worked and looked great. Will be trying the mirroring later today.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone tried this cable on a jailbroken iPad1 running [Cydia's] DisplayOut? Does it mirror?

I ask because I'm still scared of setting the time on my VCR ... and this one adaptor doesn't intimidate me ... much. I just want to hook up my HDTV and show pictures and stuff. But, hardware always gets me completely confused! :eek:

Thanks.

Marilyn

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
slothead said:
OK Guys... Splain me sumthin. Why is that adapter $20 more on fleabay than it is at the Apple store???? $59.00 on the 'bay and $39 at the Apple store! What gives?

It's FLEABAY. Whaddya expect? LOL!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have the ipad 2 and just picked up the hdmi av cable it works good i got for games like real racer 2 it works grate for that just had to go to tv settings and zoom for full screen and movies look good to i wish they had way to do this wireless but over all happy with the way it works

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Okay...to clear up some confusion:

The VGA adapter requires a 9-pin VGA cable that goes from the adapter to a compatible 9-pin receptacle on a monitor or a projector. On the iPad 1, it does NOT natively mirror systemwide what you see on the screen but DOES mirror/output display for certain APPS (that have been coded for it, and there are quite a few-that will video out and some that will mirror-I've got a list going). I reckon it's the same way with the iPad 2, but I haven't gotten mine yet so I can't try it to confirm. Unless it's known that mirroring is system-wide enabled for VGA output as well.

As for an A/V adapter using RGB cables, I've not tried that, either, but I understand that it, too, doesn't mirror natively on the iPad 1, but will output display for certain apps to a TV, monitor or projector.

The new A/V adapter is purely HDMI output to TVs and projectors, as well as some monitors with HDMI inputs. THAT will natively mirror everything on the iPad 2. As for the iPad 1, well...let me tell you that I've been playing with the HDMI adapter on my first gen iPad and several apps DO mirror through HDMI and others just video out (all quite nicely!). Here are some observations using the HDMI adapter with my iPad 1:

Star Walk -VGA and HDMI: no mirror but entire app displayed on external display.
You Tube - VGA and HDMI: video out
Perfect Browser -VGA and HDMI: mirror
Sketchbook Pro -VGA and HDMI: mirror
pics-slide show only VGA and HDMI
Penultimate -VGA and HDMI: mirror
NASA TV -VGA and HDMI: video output only, the rest of the app doesn't display on external.
Laser Lights -HDMI mirror (haven't tried it with VGA yet)
Sky Safari -VGA and HDMI: mirror
Star map HD -VGA and HDMI: mirror
Atomic Browser -VGA only
TWiT Netcast Network - HDMI video out (the splash screen on the app mirrors though) - haven't tried VGA
Live Cams HD. -HDMI: video out (the splash screen on the app mirrors though) - haven't tried VGA

FYI: I just started a new "list" thread called "VGA / HDMI video out & mirroring: APPS THAT DO on the First Gen iPad" in the "iPad General Discussions" section. If you discover apps that will video out or mirror out using the HDMI adapter not he iPad 1, mention them there too.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts