What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble scanning document with Notes app/Ipad Pro iOS11

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, I followed this video tutorial that clearly explains how to scan a document using Ipad Pro with iOS11.0.1. I open the Notes app but I just see a blank white page, I don't see any + button at the bottom (0:19 in the video tutorial). I tried navigating inside the Notes app but was unable to make that bottom menu with the + button show up. Any help? Thanks

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Force close the Notes app: swipe upwards from the bottom of your screen to get to the App Switcher, and then swipe the thumbnail of the Notes app towards the top of the screen to close it.
Open the app again afterwards, see if there are any changes.

If that doesn’t help, restart your iPad - turn it off and on again.

If there’s still no change, reset all settings. That's in Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings. This will set everything you set up in the Settings app back to default, and you'll have to change it to your preferences again. This helped another member in a similar situation.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Force close the Notes app: swipe upwards from the bottom of your screen to get to the App Switcher, and then swipe the thumbnail of the Notes app towards the top of the screen to close it.
Open the app again afterwards, see if there are any changes.

If that doesn’t help, restart your iPad - turn it off and on again.

If there’s still no change, reset all settings. That's in Settings - General - Reset - Reset all Settings. This will set everything you set up in the Settings app back to default, and you'll have to change it to your preferences again. This helped another member in a similar situation.
Thanks J.A., yes I did force close the app several times but no change, I also restarted the iPad and no change either. Guess I will have to reset all settings then, will report back

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
This is probably not the issue, but if you are using a keyboard with the ipad, the minimized keyboard will cover up the menu you are expecting to see. The (+) icon should show up on the keyboard bar instead. If it doesn’t, you can tap the down arrow at the right to slide the keyboard bar out of the way.

5B5F1934-1B97-4D23-9953-555826308A87.jpeg

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is probably not the issue, but if you are using a keyboard with the ipad, the minimized keyboard will cover up the menu you are expecting to see. The (+) icon should show up on the keyboard bar instead. If it doesn’t, you can tap the down arrow at the right to slide the keyboard bar out of the way.

View attachment 79662
I reset all settings as suggested by J.A. and nothing, issue is still present, I open the Notes app and see no + button. I'm not using an external keyboard. If I try to write in notes the on screen keyboard will pop up but it does not show any + icon. This is turning pretty annoying.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about uninstalling the Notes App and reinstalling it from the App Store?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Before you try that: do you use your iCloud account for Notes, or a different one?

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before you try that: do you use your iCloud account for Notes, or a different one?
I don't use iCloud or any other cloud service, I disabled it in Settings

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, in that case, remove the app and install it again.

If the feature still doesn’t appear, you might have to restore it, and set it up again.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, in that case, remove the app and install it again.

If the feature still doesn’t appear, you might have to restore it, and set it up again.
Thanks. Why did you ask about iCloud? Is this issue related? I will try removal/reinstall and report later

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When you use a different account, the feature might not be available. It's not working with a Gmail account, e.g.

Good point. I hadn’t thought of that. I’m pretty sure than only the iCloud and local account support all the rich content. That probably includes the new scan feature.

If you don’t want to enable iCloud storage for Notes, go to Note’s settings and turn on the “On my iPad” account. Hold in mind that your “On my iPad” notes will only be backed up in the main iPad backup; which means you’ll have to restore the entire iPad to retrive notes if something happens to them or your iPad.

When the iCloud option became reliable, I turned off all my other cloud accounts in Notes; which is why this never occured to me. I never see the limitation of the other cloud services.

OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When you use a different account, the feature might not be available. It's not working with a Gmail account, e.g.
I’m pretty sure than only the iCloud and local account support all the rich content. That probably includes the new scan feature.If you don’t want to enable iCloud storage for Notes, go to Note’s settings and turn on the “On my iPad” account.
Hi, thanks for your follow up. I went to Note's Settings and I enabled the ""On my Ipad" Account" option (it was disabled). Also, the "Default Account" shows Gmail and when I click on it allows me to change it to "On My Ipad" with a checkmark, however after choosing "On My Ipad" the Default Account still shows Gmail. Why is it that it does not change to "On my Ipad"?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Strange. Mine does the same thing (with iCloud instead of Gmail). I even tried putting a note in the On my iPad account to see if it needed a kick start.

Must be a bug. I can’t imagine why they would offer you the option of choosing ‘On my iPad’ as the default and stop it from working.

When you choose the On my iPad account in the Notes app and create a new note, are you able to see and use the scan feature?

If so, try moving all your notes to the On my iPad account, then turining off Notes in your Gmail account under Settings > Accounts & Passwords.

Of course, if you have a lot of notes, this might be more trouble than it is worth just to get the new scanning feature.

Note: Since I am on Public Beta iOS 11.1, and it’s happening on my iPad, I’ve submitted a bug report. Hopefully it will be fixed in the next update, or soon after.

Last edited:
OP
P

perseid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, your Gmail hint led me to "solve" the issue. When I open the Notes app, there's a column on the left side that shows all of the "locations" where you wish to create a new note: "On my Ipad", "iCloud", "Gmail", or whatever other location you added. The issue I described happens only when creating a new note in "Gmail", however when I create a new note in "On my Ipad" the + icon that enables me to choose to scan a document does show up in the top row of the built in keyboard.
I wonder why in the Notes app settings one is forced to set a cloud service (iCloud, Gmail, etc) as the default location and not "On my Ipad". Is this a bug as you say or is it Apple's policy? If so, what would be the logic behind it?

Most reactions

Latest posts