What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Horizontal split view in iOS 11.2.1 (iPad Pro 12.9 2017)

Tony Sabu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I’m using a 12.9” iPad Pro (iOS 11.2.1) in portrait orientation. I’d like to split the screen so that Safari is on the top half and my note taking app is on the bottom half (splitting the screen horizontally rather than vertically between two apps). The same would be appreciated for landscape orientation too. Is this possible in the latest iOS ? I believe it could significantly enhance the multitasking experience. I am surprised that this feature is not part of the iOS 11 experience.

STEVE JOBS WOULD BE DISAPPOINTED NOT TO SEE THIS FEATURE INCLUDED (If it isn’t already)

I hope I am not missing anything.

Thanks & Regards,
Tony

(EDIT: I Think we all can agree that splitting view horizontally between apps would be a wonderful addition to the iPad iOS 11 experience. Hence, I urge everyone reading to submit a feedback to Apple requesting for this feature if time permits. Please visit this link (Feedback - iPad - Apple) for submitting your feedback requesting the above mentioned feature. Thanks in advance.)

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums, Tony!

It’s not possible yet to split two apps the way you’d prefer it.
If you want Apple to know about your suggestion, send them feedback:
Feedback - iPad - Apple
They’ll certainly read your feedback, and maybe they’ll include it in a future iOS version, if there are enough people who need it this way.

OP
Tony Sabu

Tony Sabu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums, Tony!

It’s not possible yet to split two apps the way you’d prefer it.
If you want Apple to know about your suggestion, send them feedback:
Feedback - iPad - Apple
They’ll certainly read your feedback, and maybe they’ll include it in a future iOS version, if there are enough people who need it this way.

Thanks for your reply. I did post it on Apple discussions while also sending them a feedback. I was hoping more people would read this and would request this feature by sending Apple feedbacks if they feel this is a useful feature.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like you knew already what to do. So let’s hope there are more people who’d like to split the screen horizontally.
As far as I’m concerned, I’m using my iPad in landscape view all of the time, and I’m quite happy with the way Apple provided Split View.

Good luck with your suggestion, though!

OP
Tony Sabu

Tony Sabu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For most use cases the existing split view modes in landscape view is fantastic. However, for reading books and taking handwritten notes with an Apple Pencil, I feel like splitting view horizontally in portrait view would be much better and would make better use of screen area. Especially because most books are in portrait view! I hope you can relate.

Splitting views horizontally between two apps in landscape mode I think is needless though.

Do you have any advice on how we can increase the reach of this feature request? Or ways in which we can make Apple take this seriously.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not really, except for the advice I gave you before.

I’m reading my books in landscape view as well. The ebook readers I’ve installed, Kindle and iBooks among them, allow this without problems.

Most reactions