What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Having trouble finding value in my iPad -- about to return...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
A

akdms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mos -- I actually am a tech geek, which is I think part of my problem. Our household has four laptops (one running linux, one is a netbook), a gaming desktop, an Xbox, a hacked PSP, a hacked Wii, two Kindles, two Zunes...

I'm actually starting to realize that I do use them both not for difference purposes, but at different times. The Evo I use if I'm standing in line and want to check something out. The iPad if I want to sit a chill for a while.

That said, then I start running into the issue of iPad vs laptop, with the iPad's portability being diminished due to the Evo. The iPad just feels GOOD though, and I've been using it a LOT... Even though it's kind of unpractical.

I have a business trip next week. I think I'll take it with me and see it goes. I just uploaded a couple hundred pages of research documents to DropBox that I would normally print out (for some reason I don't mind reading them on an iPad screen, but hate it on a laptop screen). I might also just suck it up and buy a few apps.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the tech field my self. At home, I have 4 desktop computers that I built running 24x7.

I use the iPad around the house, on the couch, etc. I use the iPad when I ride the shuttle bus to work. And I use the iPad at work to check personal email. To me it's just more convinent to use

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I say just keep the iPad so it will be a $500 (at least!) lesson so that every time you look at it, this will teach you to do more research on a product BEFORE you plunk down the cash for the next gadget that comes down the pike.

Last edited:

Tabhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had Macs since 1984! I LOVE THEM!!

But I do not love or like that I cannot watch so many news videos on most of local TV stations. Some of the big stations have both HTML5 and flashplayer, but most local stations do not. Since I use the iPad for travel, I really really miss this. In fact it has now prevented me from doing my job, so I am going back to travelling with laptop. Not being able to watch so much of breaking news on local stations in so many cities is a real disadvantage.

And please do not bombard me with YOU KNEW IT DIDN"T HAVE FLASH BEFORE YOU BOUGHT IT comments. Yes, of course I did. But I was not smart enough to know that would mean I could not watch the local news videos.

But there are so many of you that are so smart. Is there an APP that I can use to view news videos that require flash?

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
But there are so many of you that are so smart. Is there an APP that I can use to view news videos that require flash?

Not yet. Bear in mind that Flash isn't a video format, it's a way of presenting video. As non-Flash capable products proliferate, we'll see more and more companies adopt methods of delivering video that don't require Flash, probably in parallel with their Flash-media. It's just a matter of time.

andsoitgoes

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would like to remain a member of this forum and will in turn be respectful to others...I understand I can't just insult other members and get away with it so I won't do it again!

Last edited by a moderator:

Tabhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you!!

Not yet. Bear in mind that Flash isn't a video format, it's a way of presenting video. As non-Flash capable products proliferate, we'll see more and more companies adopt methods of delivering video that don't require Flash, probably in parallel with their Flash-media. It's just a matter of time.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the most precise, clearest explanation. I was never smart enough to figured out the what's and whys except that flash player took a lot of space etc. I erroneously thought I could convert files as one does wav or MP3.

I will quit the hunt for the perfect APP to download and wait for the rest of the world to catch up to my favorite device. I have wasted so much time
checking out the Apps for the answer that you had all along. I am so glad I posted.

Thank you.

Tabhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't we all just get along

oh lord, just what forums need. More spam.

FOAD.

You can interpret that acronym however you see fit. "

I am so sorry you considered my question about flash player APPS just more spam. Some of us have different problems understanding what, to you, is obvious. While others have to post and struggle with questions about the magnifying glass and don't understand how easy that is to use, others want to figure out conversion problems.

Somehow, I really do not think that a posting with an honest question th is spam..maybe seem stupid to you who are so much smarter than some of us.

Maybe I have missed how you were helping me with the problem I was trying to solve. Or maybe you were answering another question. Or maybe you were just spamming. I don 't get it but I do know what FOAD means.

I hope you enjoy the weekend and your IPad as much as I do!

Tabhunter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Flash is nearly irrelevant and you can open and manipulate office files on it.

Huh? What does that mean? Are you saying that you can open and manipulate office files on flash which is nearly irrelevant?? Really? I can't get my feeble mind around that all encompassing statement.

But i can say that I really disagree with your point that flash is irrelevant. It is VERY RELEVANT to small tv and radio stations in local cities who have invested in Windows hardware and software.. None of their videos or recordings can be seen or heard on the iPad because of the flash platform of the littler stations in little cities. They are not going to be heard on our iPads. We can't hear or see what is going on in their towns because they cannot afford to buy all new fancy equipment. They are stuck with flashplayer video and wva audio until the economy gets better.. which will be decades in some towns. We must still be able to hear from them. If flash becomes irrelevant we won't be able to hear the news and happenings in small town America unless they are hit with a disaster and big time ABC , MSNBC comes to town. The big networks can and have made changes for the most part because they have big budget. But the smaller towns, the multitudes, are equally important. But the big networks only broadcast big news from big cities or scandalous Hollywood nonsense news in their videos. There is a whole other part of America that cannot communicate with iPads because of $, poor economy and alot of other problems we cannot solve on our dear iPad forum. The point is those people are relevant and their means of communicating to us big city, high tech people is limited and relevant. Flash is very relevant to them. Please think of all of the multitudes that you mention on a daily basis. They need flash to keep their studios going and to air their news to the locals. But unfortunately only the locals will hear it. Try going on your iPad to the sites of even medium cities like Orlando and try to watch the videos and news of their city on WFTV or WESH ..we can't on iPad. Flash is very relevant for those cities to get out their stories in pictorial video which is the preferred way to get news rather than reading PDFs..

Last edited:

pfg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
just a thought...

This thread reminds me of early posts about the iphone. I still have my original, and still love it...I haven't been so organized since the days of bulging filofax, and if I lose it, no prob--it's all backed up.

I'm about to buy an ipad--for my mobile life, it will be a lot easier than schlepping the laptop and yet fills in where the iphone cannot go...I'm on this forum just to find out what's going on so I'm prepared for whatever the shortcomings are--no one thing does everything, after all.

Apple addressed many of the early iphone complaints with software upgrades, from backing up notepad--remember when it didn't?-- lately adding cut and paste, and lots of stuff in between. So I'm not so worried about what the ipad won't do at the moment. I want it for word-processing on the go, books, movies, and bigger pictures of my work to show/discuss with clients in introductory interviews.

And I just know it will be fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts