What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have wifi symbol but cannot connect to internet

robb100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently found a network at work called Free Public WiFi. When i connect to it I get the WiFi symbol at the top left that shows a wifi connection. However, when i open Safari and try to open a website it says Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet.

What gives?

Thanks
rob

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
do you have the ipad set up for wifi can u get wifi on the ipad in other places?? this is strange

tdrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you connect to that network (and get to the Internet) from any other device?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Connecting to Wi-Fi and getting internet access are not always the same thing. After you connect to Wi-Fi the router (or other DHCP server) still has to assign your iPad an IP address and supply some other network info. There are lots of reasons why a network might not do this; ranging from on purpose, poor design, or just iPad unfriendly routers.

Go to your Settings > Wi-Fi and tap the blue arrow icon to the right of the network you are connected to.

If the iPad connects to a network, but is not give an IP address it will usually assign one to itself; so the IP Address and Subnet Mask fields will probably have an entry; however you will not see anything in the Router or DNS fields. If those two fields are empty then you will not be able to access the internet; wi-fi connection or not.

IP_Address.jpg

Not that this solves your ability to connect. It just let you check for the most probable reason why it is not working.

rnfuller

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That "Free Public WiFi" is often an ad-hoc network setup to dupe people in connecting to it, in hopes of gleaning information off of your computer!. Not really an issue with the Ipad, but BEWARE of this scam with a PC Laptop. If your computer is not secure, then it is vulnerable to all kinds of malware and virus infections when you connect to these type of scam hotspots!

Always know the network you are connecting to!

I recently found a network at work called Free Public WiFi. When i connect to it I get the WiFi symbol at the top left that shows a wifi connection. However, when i open Safari and try to open a website it says Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet.

What gives?

Thanks
rob

OP
R

robb100

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I have a WiFi only iPad and I have connected to countless hotspots.
The first time I tried there was an IP address and subnet mask. Now there is not. Still getting the WiFi signal at top, but no connection. Could be a bogus hotspot like rnfuller suggests.

DrHouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.ws4dl.org
Assuming that this free wifi is not a scam, this wifi network may required some more configuration of Internet access. It may require a proxy configuration to be setup or maybe it does not provide DNS servers as expected.

- when connected, have a look at the dns server configuration in your wifi settings. Normally, there should be an ip address looking like 156.111.23.34 (random value here...). You can use google dns server instead with 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.
- sometimes, the Internet access has to go thru a proxy server. Often, proxies are used to filter out bad websites, bad contents and enforce a credentials from the users to access to Internet.

VicoPad addict!

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There could be another explanation, the Internet connection to the wifi hotspot is broken. I had an issue last year when I had full wifi signal from my home router yet couldn't get emails or connect to the Internet. I spent around an hour trying to figure the problem out then went round the corner for a coffee......and lo and behold there was a contractor doing highway works, they were staring into a hole scratching their heads.....yep, they had struck the telecom cable. So I had no broadband connection but of course my router was still outputting a wifi signal!

The Archangel

palacegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i have the same problem.. actually the IT people said i need to register my iphone to them, how ever they will not allow it and told me that only laptops are allowed to be registered..
is there a way i can access it without registering my iphone to the IT dept?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If your IT department has it locked down, then that's the way of it. Even if you found a way around the block you'd be risking trouble with your company. While you and I may not agree with them, they usually have what they consider good reasons.

On the other hand you could keep an eye on all the articles about mobile devices and how progressive IT departments are embracing these advances in tech, instead of avoiding them; and helpfully forwarding them to your IT people, just in case they've missed any. :D

palacegirl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your IT department has it locked down, then that's the way of it. Even if you found a way around the block you'd be risking trouble with your company. While you and I may not agree with them, they usually have what they consider good reasons.

On the other hand you could keep an eye on all the articles about mobile devices and how progressive IT departments are embracing these advances in tech, instead of avoiding them; and helpfully forwarding them to your IT people, just in case they've missed any. :D

many thanks :D
i do understand their restriction, im just a little frustrated of having a strong signal yet useless (sigh)..

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In your current circumstances,you may have to tether your iPad to a WIFI hotspot created by your iPhone,unless there are restrictions against using your phone on company property.

Most reactions

Latest posts