What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the iPad Killed the Netbook?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yes and no. The ipad in my eyes is a fun to use product, which is less targeted to get your work done, thus the missing keyboard. In order to make the iOS more productive Apple needs to restyle it first and offer slim keyboard covers like the one from windows surface.

There are plenty of keyboard covers already available.

I prefer a detached keyboard, and carry one in my iPad case for those times when I need to enter more than a few lines of text.

Yes it killed the NetBook. Dead and buried.

mannyberrios

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are plenty of keyboard covers already available.

I prefer a detached keyboard, and carry one in my iPad case for those times when I need to enter more than a few lines of text.

Yes it killed the NetBook. Dead and buried.

Case closed! No further questions

wildmangk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its rare when I turn my macbook on, im so attached to my Mini. Its my daily driver along with my Nexus 4. Apple definitely got it right with the ipad and smashed all competition.

Sent from my iPad Mini using Tapatalk

kwgrimes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, first of all, let me say that I love my iDevices...I have them all except an iPad mini. So don't shoot me...yet. But after seeing what the Windows surface can do (via the Microsoft launch video), I want one of those. Be honest when asking yourself if this had hit the street before iPad, would I still have the iPad? I know there are the apps that we all love built just for the iPad, but being able to have a device that runs my business apps like Office in the form of a tablet with a detachable keyboard cover...wow! I want one!

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We have two for evaluation and app development. Neither runs more than 4 hours without recharging. It's a NetBook, not a tablet in my opinion, and we won't be doing any independent titles for them, only enterprise apps.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
OK, first of all, let me say that I love my iDevices...I have them all except an iPad mini. So don't shoot me...yet. But after seeing what the Windows surface can do (via the Microsoft launch video), I want one of those. Be honest when asking yourself if this had hit the street before iPad, would I still have the iPad? I know there are the apps that we all love built just for the iPad, but being able to have a device that runs my business apps like Office in the form of a tablet with a detachable keyboard cover...wow! I want one!

This is certainly the feather in microsofts cap. The business options are far and wide. But, the windows 8 tablets lack in many other critical areas. Basically people would be buying them strictly as a way to run office on a mobile device. The rest of its features are of dubious value. And, that nasty UI.....YUK!

imini011213

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just looked, my netbook, laptop, and desktop are still alive. I use my desktop the most and my iPad the least. I might use my iPhone as much or more than the desktop though. It just depends on what I need to do. Whatever device best does the job I need it for.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just looked, my netbook, laptop, and desktop are still alive. I use my desktop the most and my iPad the least. I might use my iPhone as much or more than the desktop though. It just depends on what I need to do. Whatever device best does the job I need it for.

Ultimately, that's how it goes. You use what handles whatever situation you are in. However, reducing the number of devices required to handle all of these things is most people's goal. Getting down to just one device would be great. Probably a ways off from that yet though.

techguru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just sole my net book as I now have an ipad. So IMHO I think it has

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have just sole my net book as I now have an ipad. So IMHO I think it has

If iPad killed your netbook, you probably wouldn't have been able to sell it. If someone found it worthwhile to buy, it's not dead unless they're using it for a doorstop, etc., lol.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ultimately, that's how it goes. You use what handles whatever situation you are in. However, reducing the number of devices required to handle all of these things is most people's goal. Getting down to just one device would be great. Probably a ways off from that yet though.

If people want to reduce devices, why do they buy toasters, toaster ovens, etc.? You can cook all the stuff that you cook in those items in an oven, which most people already own. The reason: different tasks, different tools better suited to them.

Even if my tablets or phone were capable of doing everything my work PC and laptop could, it wouldn't make sense for me to have only a phone or tablet.

Krooked

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My IPad 3 didn't kill my Asus Netbook since there are still things the winXP device can do that the IPad cannot. For the past year, I've taken both devices with me when travelling. However, my latest purchase, a Surface Pro, definitely killed the Asus.

Most reactions

Latest posts