What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 Supply Problems Possibly Caused by Light Leakage Issues

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iPad_2_backlight_bleed.JPG

MacRumors reports today on a DigiTimes story that points the finger at LG Display as being one of the main causes of Apple’s iPad 2 supply problems last quarter. According to DigiTimes, it was LG Display’s components that were responsible for the light leakage issues that some iPad 2 owners have experienced, and that caused the delay in the supply chain, as the company was forced to cut back on its shipments. Apple’s other display component supplier for the iPad 2, Samsung Electronics, shipped 4 million iPad 2 panels to Apple in Q1, with LGD only managing 3.2 million units in the same period, according to DigiTimes’ sources.

DigiTimes says that the issue has now been dealt with and that display shipments are set to increase in the current quarter. Although this news has not been confirmed by Apple, it certainly seems to give credence to a recent report from IHS iSuppli which put the lower than expected iPad sales figures for the first quarter down to display issues.

Source: iPad Display Shortages Linked to Light Leakage on LG-Produced Units - Mac Rumors

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just got my third iPad 2 right from apple on line and it has the worst light leaking on the screen then the other 2 I return back to best buy wtf is going on with problem

ITS ME DAVID

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
Www.facebook.com
I made a thread about this problem 2 days after iday of Getting the iPad 2 on another forum that thread was big but people with black seemed to not have as much light leakage.

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well after 4 iPads I now have the one I will keep the 3 before had bad light leaking problem . I just got # 3 last week right from apple on line . and took it back to apple store tonight they hook me up with one that has no lighting on screen the way it should have been in the first place.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How do people determine if the leakage is bad or not? I can tell that mine has some leakage, but I judge it to not be enough of a problem to try to get a replacement and possibly have the same issue with the new one. I've tried several movies, netflix, and HBO Go, but it just doesn't get a rise from me. Some TVs don't have a uniform black level across the entire screen, so the little bleeding I see under certain conditions doesn't seem to much of a big deal. I do wonder just how bad it gets for others.

davi62108

iPF Noob
Reaction score
How do u know if u have a lighting leakage?

Reaction score
davi62108 said:
How do u know if u have a lighting leakage?

Light leaking can usually be seen, when

a) the display brightness is high
b) the screen is showing a black image (a google search for "black" will give lots of results)
c) there is little to no daylight, i.e. at night, in a closet, etc.

As to whether some flaw, which requires active searching, is important is debatable. Screen bleeding shouldn't occur, but it isn't visible during normal use either.

scarlettohara1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Light leaking can usually be seen, when

a) the display brightness is high
b) the screen is showing a black image (a google search for "black" will give lots of results)
c) there is little to no daylight, i.e. at night, in a closet, etc.

As to whether some flaw, which requires active searching, is important is debatable. Screen bleeding shouldn't occur, but it isn't visible during normal use either.

LoL...I couldn't help myself. When I read "...i.e.at night, in a closet..." I was trying to think "who the hell would be in a closet with a iPad"?? That was too funny!

Most reactions

Latest posts