What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Happy Birthday to the World Wide Web

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
In March of 1989 Sir Tim Berners-Lee wrote a proposal which laid the foundation of what we know as the World Wide Web. The World Wide Web: The Invention That Connected The World - Google Arts & Culture
The internet already existed but the invention of the World Wide Web allowed computers to directly access documents and information stored on other internet connected computers.

NPR this morning had a short piece on this topic w/ an interview w/ Tim Berners-Lee (cannot remember if new or an older one?). Of course, the start of the WWW centered around 'web browsers' - see first pic below of their early history from Mosaic (1993) to Safari (2003) (and beyond - LINK). I had been on the internet before the WWW era, i.e. Windows DOS w/ text-based interface (seems primitive now but was exciting then), then Mosaic (and soon Netscape) came out which we ran under Windows for Workgroups w/ a LOT of difficulty (back then still on dialup) - not until Windows 95 and finally cable internet did all run much smoother - was a frustrating transition. In retirement, switched back to Apple and using Safari primarily.

For those interested in this history, I finished the book below early in the year - an excellent read. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 11.21.11 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-03-12 at 11.23.22 AM.png

Most reactions

Latest posts