What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hands free ipad users

lisaalsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to connect a handsfree mouse, i.e., a head control mouse, specific brands include madentec Tracker Pro, Origin Headmouse Extreme or a Smartnav to an ipad for people with physical disabilities who cannot use their hands. The devices are "plug n play" via USB, i.e. , no software required to run the mouse, but software is required for "mouse clicks", such as dwell click, or for windows versions Magic Cursor, Click n Type, etc.

Is this possible?

what do we need to do this?

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
you would need a different operating system on the iPad. iOS has no pointer. Mice or other pointing devices like mice will not work. It is finger to screen.

"Plug and Play" is Windows/MAC/Linux, originally Windows, though.

OP
L

lisaalsa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks, the staff at the sales outlets told us that it would work through a USB bluetooth device but I did not think this was possible for a mouse-type device.

Maybe someday people with physical disabilites will be able to use an ipad...

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad has a few capabilities that can help disabled people - such as text-to-speech and (via third party apps) speech-to-text. Plus, of course, you can change the font size to make the screen more readable. But, as the other respondant remarked, it's fundamentally a touch-screen driven interface. But it's early days yet and, in the same way that some innovative tools and software were developed for the PC, I think no one would be surprised to see the development of similar facilities for the iPad. Maybe your post will prompt a Forum member with the necessary software/hardware skill set to think about this.

Tim
Scotland

Most reactions