What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great apps for road trips?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any recommendations from road trip lovers?

I'm loving iExit and Wikihood.

iExit rocks. It tells you what's off every freeway exit -- restaurants, shopping, gas (even biofuel), coffee and much more. It even tells you which exits have ice cream, with an ice cream icon, lol. It identifies fast-food restaurants vs. sit-down ones, which is great if you're tired of eating nonstop fast food on the road.

Wikihood tells you about stuff -- sights, history and such -- around you as you move around.

Of course, you can best take advantage of such apps with a 3G model, so you can use GPS location services.

crappa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trapster, to notify you about road hazards, like speed traps and such. Saving you money so you can eat at local restaurants that you can find using Local Eats.

iPad 2 is cool

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Qwiki...great app, web based audio encyclopaedia.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

TrackRat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I'd really like to find is an app for great driving roads. Work has me out of town a lot and it would be great to be able to pull up listings of great driving roads

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a cool thread, I hope it keeps going.

FastFood is also pretty good for finding restaurants nearby. GasBuddy lists the best prices and seems like people update it often.

OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some others I've found useful, though not only for road trips:

ParkShark (to find parking)
HotelPal (to find hotels)
iWant (to find restaurants, theaters, banks and much more)
AroundMe (similar to iWant)
BestOf ("best" restaurants, bars, etc., according to alternative publications for big cities)
Sit or Squat (to find bathrooms)
Cheap Gas! (compares prices at stations near you)
TripTik (provided by AAA so you can map out trips, adding cities as you like, calculating mileage and giving directions, sights worth considering along the way. I've used this for three cross-country trips; works well. I've done planning on AAA's TripTik Web page, but a mobile app is available, too.)
AAA also has an app if you need road service, but I haven't used it. I figure I can just call. But an app might be useful if you're running out of battery life on your mobile and need to send your location quickly.

For travel, though not driving, OnTheFly is great for immediate airfare comparisons. And GateGuru identifies restaurants and more at various gates/terminals at major airports. Useful, because you know what's nearby and accessible instead of just settling for what's in your line of sight.

Last edited:
OP
K

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I'd really like to find is an app for great driving roads. Work has me out of town a lot and it would be great to be able to pull up listings of great driving roads

You might might want to check out RoadTrip America's app. I haven't, but I've used its Web site and found it helpful. They're good at taking feedback, too, so you could make a suggestion if they don't already offer a service that others might also find helpful.

crappa

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Not an app, but a site I have used and found some good roads for driving. www . motorcycleroads.us

Last edited:

Most reactions