What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best Apps for Kids & Road Trips

kbmrt1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've got a 4 y/o girl and a 6 y/o boy and the iPad has been a GODSEND when it comes to keeping them entertained on road trips. There are so many kid's apps that it can be hard to sort through them all, but here are some I've found work well with my own kids as far as a) keeping them entertained for a decent amount of time b) being at least somewhat educational and c) they can use on their own (i.e. from the backseat...)

1. Looking Glass - short (around 3 or 4 min) videos for young kids. No words, just music. Subscription that gives you new videos every week (although my son wants to watch the tow truck video on repeat...) Great because they can keep themselves entertained without my having to jump in.

2. Scribble Lite - coloring app. Super simple but keeps both kids entertained for relatively long periods of time.

3. Smack Talk - OK, this one doesn't have much for educational value, to be perfectly honest it can get pretty annoying, but it makes it on the list due to the sheer time my kids are entertained by it. This app lets kids record their own voices then manipulate the sound. They can use this thing forever without getting bored.

I'd love to know what other apps you've found work well for all those things with your own kids around the same age? I'm always looking for new suggestions since we travel fairly often and keeping the kids occupied has a LOT to do with the overall success of the trip :)

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for this great review. I'm sure it will be very helpful to other Members.

Much appreciated.

Tim

Catherine156

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The latest App my kids dig Funky Fauna. It has all the animals from different continents and my kid just spends hours and hours on it. It is simple but engaging. I personally would prefer my kids to play more outside but you can't really fight with technology, especially with iPad.Cat

momofboys

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our family has become huge fans of the Spinlight apps. Our 2 favorites are AlphaTots & TallyTots!

sama.van

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.samavan.com
wow good topic!
Usefull tips for kids and break time!
Thank you so much!

You should also give a look at "Chikirar Island" 1 and 2, those are animated 3D book for kids!!
That is about a baby yellow chicken story.
Here in Japan, he is the character of a famous noddle maker.
Some mini games etc...
Amazing apps ^_^!!!

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lovely review, I'm sure it will come in handy for others looking for quality children's apps, thank you

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Cakepop

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My 4 yo LOVES Make me a superhero - you dress up a superhero with capes, wings, suits, etc. Very fun. Shape builder (puzzles, a bit simple), animatch, and Dora coloring are also big hits. HTH.

Most reactions

Latest posts