What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GQ Sells Just 365 iPad Apps of Men of the Year Issue

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
gq.JPG

A somewhat surprising story this from the Guardian today, detailing the fact that GQ publisher Pete Hunsinger has announced that GQ’s “Men of the Year†edition, published in December, sold just 365 copies in its iPad format, making a total of $1,091.35 in sales at $2.99 each.
“This costs us nothing extra: no printing or postage,†Hunsinger told MinOnline who covered the story. “Everything is profit, and I look forward to the time when iPad issue sales become a major component to our circulation.â€

Although Hunsinger’s remarks are unsurprisingly upbeat, the Guardian says that it’s discouraging that Conde Naste’s app sales have started so slowly, especially as Conde Naste has been a very vocal supporter of the iPad.

It is, however, very early days to be considering what this might mean for magazine sales on the iPad in general. As the Guardian points out, Conde Naste’s iPad and iPhone app sales are picking up, and with the recent launch of the Vanity Fair iPad app and the forthcoming launch of the Wired app, sales are likely to start climbing even higher.

By Maura Sutton, iPadForums.net
Source: Guardian.co.uk

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe if they would get with the program and offer a yearly subscription for the same price as the magazine subscription they could make some money. I for one will not buy any magazine on the iPad that cost more than it does at the yearly subscription price.

He said it himself, it doesn't cost them anything!!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Like he admits, it cost them nothing...... So logic dictates it should be cheaper. Of course I would not get it, even if it were free.... I'm not a metrosexual kind of guy....plus I sure have no interest in who they think is "man of the year".

Bluenik25

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify my comments are referring to all periodical sales on the iPad and not GQ.

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
Just to clarify my comments are referring to all periodical sales on the iPad and not GQ.

And I agree with you. Like the GQ guy said, it cost them nothing... I do not subscribe to any paper magazines, but would be interested in a subscription on the iPad to a few.... But will not until the pricing model is realistic.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Finnedog said:
Give it away for a year, if people like it they will pay for it.
I read GQ. I like the fashion, tech, health and girls. I think the problem is, after reading the reviews is that the production costs are really zero. People say it works just like a PDF. Boring! If people want to charge money for an iPad magazine, it HAS to be cool.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm guessing a different magazine might do better. GQ??? Who reads that?

GQ is an excellent magazine. I've had a subscription for some time. I can understand if you are a leper who doesn't care about fashion I guess. What magazine would you prefer they look into?

Krew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lets see. they admit there's no cost 2 them and its all profit. but they charge more then the real magazine which *does* have a cost 2 produce. then if u read the reviews of the app, its doesn't do a great job and its awkward and has glitches (supposedly). And there probably scratching there head wondering why they only sold 365 or whatever. :rolleyes:

Isaac Newton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe if they would get with the program and offer a yearly subscription for the same price as the magazine subscription they could make some money. I for one will not buy any magazine on the iPad that cost more than it does at the yearly subscription price.

He said it himself, it doesn't cost them anything!!

Could not have said it better myself!!

Bremen

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bremencole.com
I'm guessing a different magazine might do better. GQ??? Who reads that?

GQ is an excellent magazine. I've had a subscription for some time. I can understand if you are a leper who doesn't care about fashion I guess. What magazine would you prefer they look into?

A fashion boy with an attitude! Lol .... It is funny though.....

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For such a trendy magazine with great content, they have to remember one thing: any idiot can download a PDF of GQ off the internet. If they want to sell it, it has to have the "cool" factor the iPad, and frankly that GQ magazine is come to be known for.

Most reactions

Latest posts