What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Guardian Launches iPad App

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
6277-albums265-picture6313.JPG

UK newspaper The Guardian has this week launched its first ever full iPad app. The app, which can be downloaded once a day, will be free to download for an initial three-month trial (thanks to sponsorship from Channel 4), and then after that will cost £9.99 per month. Alan Rusbridger, the Guardian’s editor-in-chief, said that the app would not differ too much in terms of its presentation from the printed version of the newspaper.

“We wanted it to be like a newspaper, in that it is very respectful of text. It has a hierarchy, like a newspaper front page, and you don’t get lost in it unlike some other iPad apps,†said Rusbridger.

When asked why the Guardian’s iPad app had taken so long to come out, in contrast to the Times and Telegraph apps, for example, Rusbridger said that the delay was mainly due to a shortage of developers, and because of the sophisticated nature of the app’s design.

Click here to download the app: Guardian iPad edition for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: Guardian iPad edition launches | Media | guardian.co.uk
Introducing the Guardian iPad edition - video | Media | guardian.co.uk

tdmsu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's a very well done app. I will enjoy the free trial and decide if $20+ a month is worth it later.

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got this app as soon as my iOS5 upgrade was complete. It is a very nicely designed app, loads of content, can even search articles by writer. And, best of all, I get The Guardian downloaded daily until 12the January for absolutely nothing... gratis... I'm very impressed. Makes Newstand worthwhile!

Milliebert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just adding... in the UK from the end of the free trial it will be Ă‚ÂŁ9.99 a month ~ a saving of Ă‚ÂŁ20 on the cover price, and no recycling!

Aa1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ill stick with the BBC news website in the mean time, I only ever buy the paper if its eventful like Bin Laden hetting snuffed or the pope coming to my hometown.

"Gentlemen, we may not make history tomorrow, but we shall certainly change the geography." General Plumer

Most reactions

Latest posts