What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GPS question

Mark29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With wi-fi and cellular turned off how long should it typically take iPad to get a satellite signal? I do have the wi-fi + 3G version, so out of curiosity wanted to see if I could use the GPS. Left it on for many minutes, but it never seemed to get a signal. I was in my yard with a (mostly) clear view of the sky, with a few branches between the iPad & sky.

Thanks,
Mark

Rockbottom

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I do not remember how quick it was when I got my iPad2 (wifi and 3G) but when I went to France this summer (from Canada), it sync'ed pretty fast, in phase from the Apple localization system and then to the accuracy of the gps. I certainly do not remember being long at all.

Sent from my iPad2 3G 32 gig / using iPF

idave23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With wi-fi and cellular turned off how long should it typically take iPad to get a satellite signal? I do have the wi-fi + 3G version, so out of curiosity wanted to see if I could use the GPS. Left it on for many minutes, but it never seemed to get a signal. I was in my yard with a (mostly) clear view of the sky, with a few branches between the iPad & sky.

Thanks,
Mark
You're gonna think I'm kidding ya but if it was today it could've been due to a solar flare.
Spot-on: Massive X-Class Solar Flare Could Disrupt Earth Communication: Scientific American Gallery

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The iPad uses assisted GPS... Assisted GPS units like the iPad and just about all smart phones have to use a tiny (and inefficient) GPS antenna. This constraint is due to the size of the device....The assistance occurs when the device gets the information needed to get a proper satellite fix from the cell towers. The cell towers keep the satellite info on file and constantly update it. This method relieves the iPad or smartphone of some of the heavy lifting. You won't get a fix as fast with 3G off, but... With a clear view of the sky, you will eventually get a GPS fix without using the cell tower system.

Note.... If you've turned WiFi and 3G off using 'Airplane Mode', then you've turned off GPS as well.. Airplane mode also turns off the GPS receiver. This is because some airlines don't allow the use of GPS receivers while in flight.

Most reactions

Latest posts