What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get 3G back on Ipad

DrF

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just upgraded to OS 4.2 and my wifi/3g Ipad wouldn't recognize the 3G network. After several hours I discovered the following post over on the Apple Support Forum- worked like a charm (from Dr. Technical
I had 3G problems after upgrading to 4.2.1, with the following symptoms:

• Network status indicator (upper left corner) showed "No Service" instead of "AT&T 3G" (and, of course, no cellular connectivity). Wi-Fi worked normally.
  • No "View Account" button on Cellular Data screen in Settings
  • Under "About", Carrier and Cellular Data Number showed as "Unknown" or "Unavailable"

I called Apple tech support and went through some troubleshooting procedures. Here's what finally worked for me:

• Bring up the Settings app
  • Set "Airplane Mode" on for a short period, then turn it back off.
  • Under "General", choose "Reset" then select "Reset Network"
  • Confirm that you want to reset all network settings
  • Power the iPad completely off then turn it back on

chrisjones

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No 3G on IPAD 3G

Hello

I tried that with no luck. I am still in GPRS/Edge here in Belgium.
I swapped my card with the one of my iphone 4 and no luck, both sims are however working fine on my iphone and 3G is showed.
On my ipad no 3G juste the little circle for GPRS.
so tried reset network, tried to reboot and airplane mode, no luck.
Was in 3.2.2. and went for 4.2.1 -> no more luck.

Anyone another idea ?

Chris

leey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice tips, thanks a lot!!
Well, guys must also be interested in reading this tips "Tips to Turn iPad Wifi Into 3G"- learn how to get your iPad WiFi connected to 3G network. especially for those wifi users ;)

johanwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You provided good information to get 3G back on iPad. Thanks for such useful information. I will use it in future when I will come across a problem like you. I save this information for the future reference.

zeebeeblue

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello

I tried that with no luck. I am still in GPRS/Edge here in Belgium.
I swapped my card with the one of my iphone 4 and no luck, both sims are however working fine on my iphone and 3G is showed.
On my ipad no 3G juste the little circle for GPRS.
so tried reset network, tried to reboot and airplane mode, no luck.
Was in 3.2.2. and went for 4.2.1 -> no more luck.

Anyone another idea ?

Chris

Try inputing the APN information under the Cellular Data settings.

zeph

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a similar problem but the symptom is different.

I leave the GSM network coverage until the signal is totally lost. I am able to use wi-fi. GSM is totally out (obviously). Then i return back to the GSM coverage, on the status bar, NORMALLY it should show <Provider Name> then "3G". But for me, it will only show the provider name and when i open Safari, it says there is no network coverage, same for all Apps. When i turn off the "Cellular Data" manually, it will go to "Ipad" then turning "Cellular Data" back on will bring me back to the Provide name without "3G".
I had to reboot the ipad to get the service back.

This has happened 3 times already after I upgraded to 4.2.1

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts