What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gorilla Glass

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MattIM said:
The first time I used a screen protector was on a Palm. Later, I bought a Sony A700 DSLR, and a Zagg shield went on its LCD display. When I got my first iPad, Zagg shield. Ipad2, Zagg shield. Now that I have acquired the third gen iPad, I also Zagged it. BUT I had to return that one due to faulty screen. Best Buy told me to contact Zagg and they replaced it. While waiting for the Zagg to arrive, I started using the new iPad without a shield and it felt different--finger directly on glass. The Zagg had arrived and I still have not installed it on my iPad. It is a naked iPad (in a protective case) and going two months, no scratches.

This is one of those issues that I think boils down to preference and individual behavior. To this I say YMMV.

A lot of those early units either used plastic screens (palm) or very soft glass for screens that are not normally touch. This would result in less shattered screens but far more scratches than using early hard but brittle glass. It's simply not the case these days (if you excuse the pun).

However, I will says a good case is the only chance of saving an iPad from inadvertent knocks when traveling with it. Screen protectors may make you feel good but do nothing.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dude....I'm not going to put your words or those of a bunch of Internet unknowns above my own first-hand experience. No way, no day.
It's not anyone's word I'm asking you to take, AQ. But the pictures don't lie. They're the proof.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
pianoman said:
It's not anyone's word I'm asking you to take, AQ. But the pictures don't lie. They're the proof.

Proof of what, that I'm going to get a scratch on my screen if I don't use a screen protector?

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Proof of what, that I'm going to get a scratch on my screen if I don't use a screen protector?
Proof that iPad glass scratches are very common (and possible - some are arguing here the idiotic notion that Gorilla glass isn't scratchable). We've beat this dead horse. Sure - if you're super careful you can prevent scratches - until that one time when you can't and then your device is devalued. I don't have to worry so much since mine has a cover and will always be in perfect condition when I sell/trade in. Unprotected people don't have that confidence. That confidence is worth $30 to me. For others not - and that's okay.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Proof that iPad glass scratches are very common (and possible - some are arguing here the idiotic notion that Gorilla glass isn't scratchable). We've beat this dead horse. Sure - if you're super careful you can prevent scratches - until that one time when you can't and then your device is devalued. I don't have to worry so much since mine has a cover and will always be in perfect condition when I sell/trade in. Unprotected people don't have that confidence. That confidence is worth $30 to me. For others not - and that's okay.

Dude...I'm not super careful...I've owned tablets now for a good while...in terms of man years, I have over 3 (3 different tablets at least a year, not counting phones and computers). Every one of mine had perfect screens. I got top dollar at amazon when I sold my iPad 2 to them. All I did was keep it in a case. Didn't even have a case for my nook color. Carried my Droid Incredible in my pocket with keys for two years...the body has scratches, but not the screen. Do the same with my 4S (though I do keep it in a case for drop protection) So you can't tell me nuthin in terms of screens. No, they are not unscratchable, but you don't have to be "super careful" either. And I certainly don't need to put an screen protector on. If you think so, fine, do as you please, and I have zero problems with that. But don't push it as a fact that screens will get scratched when plenty of people here are telling you that they don't scratch nearly as easily as you make it seem.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Dude...I'm not super careful...I've owned tablets now for a good while...in terms of man years, I have over 3 (3 different tablets at least a year, not counting phones and computers). Every one of mine had perfect screens. I got top dollar at amazon when I sold my iPad 2 to them. All I did was keep it in a case. Didn't even have a case for my nook color. Carried my Droid Incredible in my pocket with keys for two years...the body has scratches, but not the screen. Do the same with my 4S (though I do keep it in a case for drop protection) So you can't tell me nuthin in terms of screens. No, they are not unscratchable, but you don't have to be "super careful" either. And I certainly don't need to put an screen protector on. If you think so, fine, do as you please, and I have zero problems with that. But don't push it as a fact that screens will get scratched when plenty of people here are telling you that they don't scratch nearly as easily as you make it seem.

+1 :)

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just because you and maybe a few other people here report you've had success doesn't a majority make, AC. Frankly I'll go with the preponderance of evidence to the contrary you can easily find out there. I'm glad for you that you've had a good experience. And let's remember that we're talking here in this thread mostly about iPad. I agree there's a lot less chance of scratches precisely because you don't put an iPad in your pocket and in the other environments an iPhone goes into. But my iPad 1 had a lot of scratches before I realized it needed protection. And my first iPhone and 3G were also scratched before I learned my lesson. But the whole topic started turning toward Gorilla Glass being "unscratchable". That's just nonsense and plenty of evidence out there proving my point. Can you have a scratch free experience without a protector on an iPad. Yes. Does everybody? No way. Not even close. So I'm gonna keep protecting my iPads and iPhones. Though as I said earlier - I'm disappointed with what the shields do to the brilliance of the iPad 3 retina display. I may go back to "naked" on that one. But I'll worry.

Nuff said. This horse has been beaten. Live and let live.

dawsonm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on my third iPad, no screen protector. I have, and will continue to keep them in a leather case. No scratches for me so far. I would suggest its the type of use it is likely to get...

Harley man

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

I 100%agree !!!

from USA bucks county pa Sent from my iPad using iPF

Ziggie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried screen protectors on my phones and I've hated them. As a result I don't use them. I've been lucky and I've never scratched one.

I got an ipad3 and immediately purchased the otterbox defender. Yes, the screen protector degrades the quality of the screen, but I view the ipad as a completely utilitarian device subject to abuse. I let my 4 year old use it, I use it while doing projects, I use it for everything. I am perfectly willing to lose a little screen quality for the additional protection. It still looks fantastic and I can clean the screen protector with just about anything without worrying about damaging the screen. I kinda feel like I've eliminated the scratching the screen problem.

Just my 2 cents...

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Roberta225 said:
There is an oleophobic coating on the screen to repel fingerprints. It is likely this is what is scratched and not the glass itself.

What's more is that it's usually not a permanent scratch as i've found those 'scratches' go away after a few Wipedowns.

It's very simple. You cannot scratch the glass with any material softer than it. Most common metallic objects are made of softer material. Keys, coins, gold, silver, Your hands and fingernails are softer. Wood is softer. Etc etc. Some rocks are harder, diamond is harder and yes a piece of glass will likely do the trick.

Pretty much everything I've listed can scratch a plastic protective screen.

You do the math.

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
What's more is that it's usually not a permanent scratch as i've found those 'scratches' go away after a few Wipedowns.

It's very simple. You cannot scratch the glass with any material softer than it. Most common metallic objects are made of softer material. Keys, coins, gold, silver, Your hands and fingernails are softer. Wood is softer. Etc etc. Some rocks are harder, diamond is harder and yes a piece of glass will likely do the trick.

Pretty much everything I've listed can scratch a plastic protective screen.

You do the math.

If your fingertip (which is a softer than gorilla glass material) has sand residue, dust particles or whatever debris that happens to be of a harder substance, and you rub it across the screen there is the potential to scratch the glass. As most people realize, gorilla glass is scratch resistant, not scratch proof. Corning, who makes Gorilla Glass will tell you that personally. Go to an Apple store and they will tell you the same. Micro scratches will occur over time but are nearly impossible to see, even at an angle so it shouldn't be a big deal. If it is, then use a screen protector otherwise don't sweat it.

To sum thing up, scratches do occur on gorilla glass. It's just a heck of a lot harder to make happen and notice. Hope this debate ends.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm totally agreeing that the glass can be scratched in an unlucky fall, dropping a glass of orange juice on your iPad or trying really really hard to scratch it, but you will never scratch it by rubbing it with a dirty finger. It's preposterous.

I just took a coin from my pocket and rubbed it over my old iPhone 4 that I am typing this on. Guess what... No scratch. No not even micro scratches. Try that with a screen protector!
So I hope that ends the debate.

Lucky_Charms

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
I'm totally agreeing that the glass can be scratched in an unlucky fall, dropping a glass of orange juice on your iPad or trying really really hard to scratch it, but you will never scratch it by rubbing it with a dirty finger. It's preposterous.

I just took a coin from my pocket and rubbed it over my old iPhone 4 that I am typing this on. Guess what... No scratch. No not even micro scratches. Try that with a screen protector!
So I hope that ends the debate.

A coin most like wouldn't do it. Take a screwdriver, car keys, pen and nothing will likely show. Instead, try an oily finger with sand on it. My 4 year old nephew decided to play with my sisters iPad 2 after a long day in the sandbox. Guess what....tiny swirl marks and scratches appeared all over the screen. Most of the scratches were able to be taken out with a lot of wiping but some are permanently there.

Live and learn.

pianoman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A coin most like wouldn't do it. Take a screwdriver, car keys, pen and nothing will likely show. Instead, try an oily finger with sand on it. My 4 year old nephew decided to play with my sisters iPad 2 after a long day in the sandbox. Guess what....tiny swirl marks and scratches appeared all over the screen. Most of the scratches were able to be taken out with a lot of wiping but some are permanently there.

Live and learn.
Of course that scratched it! It would be ridiculous to expect otherwise. Certainly Gorilla glass is a wonderful invention by Corning and makes a screen way more scratch resistant than the early days of the plastic screens on our Treo's. But there're many everyday situations and items in our pockets that can have sandy grit on it that will easily scratch the gorilla glass.

Though I suppose it could be a "doctored" video, Zagg's own video demonstration of their product shows a person using their keys to scratch an iPad 2's screen and the scratches are very very noticeable before they put the shield on and do the same demonstration. Do you think they're doing false advertising there with that video?

Thanks for sharing your personal experience with an iPad in the sandbox. I was hoping someone else would share proof of what I know to be the case in my experience as well.

Last edited:

Most reactions