What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad cannot be located, locational services is on...

wareagle1999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know why I would not be able to be located by any of my programs? Maps/find my iPad/google earth etc, all say they cannot determine my location, yet my locational services is on.

Any suggestions would be great thanks
Craig

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone know why I would not be able to be located by any of my programs? Maps/find my iPad/google earth etc, all say they cannot determine my location, yet my locational services is on.

Any suggestions would be great thanks
Craig

What type of iPad do you have?

Do you have the 3G or WiFi-only model?

GPS capability is only included on the 3G iPad, the WiFi iPad cannot use GPS and determines its location - if it can - from a database of WiFi hotspots. Even if you're connected to WiFi, unless that hotspot is in Apple's WiFi hotspot location database, your iPad cannot determine its location.

Even if you have the 3G model with GPS, the iPad needs a reasonably good 'view of the sky' to be able to receive the GPS satellite signals, which are very weak and do not penetrate very far into buildings etc.

Tim

OP
W

wareagle1999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
What type of iPad do you have?

Do you have the 3G or WiFi-only model?

GPS capability is only included on the 3G iPad, the WiFi iPad cannot use GPS and determines its location - if it can - from a database of WiFi hotspots. Even if you're connected to WiFi, unless that hotspot is in Apple's WiFi hotspot location database, your iPad cannot determine its location.

Even if you have the 3G model with GPS, the iPad needs a reasonably good 'view of the sky' to be able to receive the GPS satellite signals, which are very weak and do not penetrate very far into buildings etc.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I do just ave the Ipad2 with wifi only. Guess I never noticed it before, could have sworn it was locating ok before. Must have been my iPhone then.

Much thanks

Craig

Montereybob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wifi only. Sometimes it can locate me and other times it can't.

Kin Lau

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Montereybob said:

Before my router entry went live, my location would work depending on which side of the apartment I was in, which put me just in range of a wifi router that was already in the system. Also you might have a neighbor that is turning his router off when not in use.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have iPad 2 and iPhone 4 on 3G, and iPad 1 and touch on wi-fi, and all can be located, but they all show on slightly different locations on my street, even when they're all on my desk. Weird.

angelo_lopes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is exactly what happens to me. Sometimes it locates my iPad other times no, and only when I have it at home.

My wife's iPad2 is Wi-Fi only. No 3G. And to locate the iPad at your own house is not much usefull, shall someone steal it. Better the app would require 3G to install..

Warm Regards,

Parson11

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reset your network under settings general network. You will have to re-enter your router password then it should work. Did for me at least and others.

Fugick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello all,
okay. i have tried everything listed in this forum and all message threads i could find. my location services has stopped working. it worked for a total of 4 days (it has been 5 days since i recieved it) and just stopped. i also bought my wife one and hers works. exact same model except mine is black and hers is white. these are wifi only 32 gb ipad2s. does anyone know of a fix for the location service problem? i called apple and they said to send it back. :) this is my first apple device and i was hoping for a better product.
thanks in advance for any help,
don

OP
W

wareagle1999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Parson11 said:
Reset your network under settings general network. You will have to re-enter your router password then it should work. Did for me at least and others.

Tried, no luck, but thanks!

OP
W

wareagle1999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Fugick said:
hello all,
okay. i have tried everything listed in this forum and all message threads i could find. my location services has stopped working. it worked for a total of 4 days (it has been 5 days since i recieved it) and just stopped. i also bought my wife one and hers works. exact same model except mine is black and hers is white. these are wifi only 32 gb ipad2s. does anyone know of a fix for the location service problem? i called apple and they said to send it back. :) this is my first apple device and i was hoping for a better product.
thanks in advance for any help,
don

That's interesting, I'd like to know what you find out. None of mine worked either. This seemed to come about with the last fix that was made to get rid of the "tracking bug". While Apple is really quick, it is quite a pain in the butt to have to reset and resync. Had to do it with my iPhone, not looking forward to doing it with my iPad.

Please let me know if it is rectified after sending it back. Much appreciated.
Craig

Fugick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wareagle1999 said:
That's interesting, I'd like to know what you find out. None of mine worked either. This seemed to come about with the last fix that was made to get rid of the "tracking bug". While Apple is really quick, it is quite a pain in the butt to have to reset and resync. Had to do it with my iPhone, not looking forward to doing it with my iPad.

Please let me know if it is rectified after sending it back. Much appreciated.
Craig

Okay an update. I just wanted to make sure it was truly fixed. (just a reminder of the problem) Well after trying everything and being on the phone with apple tech support my location services still didn't work. I started to get the pad ready to ship to a fix-it center and I started manually deleting all of my data. Everything individually such as photos, contacts, calendar, files from drop box, books from readers (and then the readers), docstogo and such. Cleaned everything and restarted the pad. Just for giggles tried the map app and my location services worked perfectly. Reload a couple of weather radar apps and those worked. I don't know if I fixed it or what happened but it works now. I have traveled to a couple of places (within 300 miles) and it worked. I even hotspotted my evo and it found me. Sorry it took so long to post a response but I wanted to make it was working in several locations.
Don

Most reactions

Latest posts