What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Maps is in the Appstore!

PatS

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Any way to get Siri to go to google map when giving directions

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any way to get Siri to go to google map when giving directions

Maybe this will help: How to Use Siri with Google Maps Without an iOS 6 Jailbreak

I haven't tried it, so don't know whether it works.

I loaded the iPhone Google Maps app on iPad, thought it looked like crap, so I've still not updated to iOS 6 and am continuing to use iOS 5.1.1 and the old Google maps app. I left my iPad 4 at home and have brought iPad 2 on the road specifically so I could access the old maps app. I won't update till there's an iPad version.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Works. Not just with Google Maps. It gives you a list of installed map apps (and others from the App Store for some reason). You chose the one you want. Given the number of steps, it's quite a bit slower than using Apple's Maps, of course.

Yes, doesn't seem like something I'd want to bother with, but that's why I'm still using iOS 5.1.1 on iPad 2 -- still rocking Google maps the old-school way, lol.

RodC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RodC-

In case you didn't catch it the google maps app just released is currently just for the iPhone. I was also thinking of now upgrading my ipad3 to iOS 6 but caught myself in regards to the maps app. I think I'll still hold off and hopefully an iPad version of google maps app will come out soon.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that out there. That said, my wife's iphone4s now looks like a good candidate for ios6 with this new released google map app!!

Oh, how true - too late, I just looked up the app on my iPad (after upgrading to ios 6) only to find that the app appears under the "iPhone apps" type. Oh well, I got it installed now, just have to view it in iPhone mode. I guess an iPad app won't be in store for some time to come judging by the time it takes Google to release their YT app for the iPad... :(

Btw I don't mean to dilute the thread topic but after ugrading my iPod Touch to iOS 6, all apps (this is any app I run on the device) will close [due to low memory I presume?] after a minute or so.After I leave my iPod overnight, I will find it out of battery and turned off the next morning - something never seen before (!).

I made sure that iCloud backup is turned off. I also make sure that all apps processes are not running in the background. I restarted the device. No solution so far. Guess, I shouldn't have upgraded only for the sake of having Google's official Maps app...

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts