What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Google Maps is in the Appstore!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Exactly! You can receive targeted ads based on your current location. You could be web surfing and receive an ad for the pizza place down the block.

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why is anyone in the free maps business? Because it gives them a license to collect tons of user data, which they can then sell, or leverage into bigger profits by targeting ads more precisely. Targeted ads command much higher rates than unfocused ads. If you assume it's about money, you won't often be wrong. When you cannot see the connection, start with the money, then work backward.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

But this is what cause the frak between apple and google. Google wanted the data, apple refused to give it.

Apple still doesn't need to play in this ballpark. They are the most profitable company in the world and they got there without maps. You can't tell me they are so hard up for profit that they need to spend years chasing after google and its chump change. Further, Apple does need maps to get your location...you are on their OS. Google is the one needing an entry....

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It's not just your location. It's all the stores you visit, and how long you spend there, and the route you took to get there. If your cellphone is on, theoretically you can be tracked down every aisle of the Wal-Mart, and they'd know where you stopped to pick things from the shelves. They might be interested to know where your kids go to school, what billboards you see on your commute, how much you speed on the highway. This is all info they can sell to third parties, to improve their chances of selling you stuff you may or may not need. Cynical, perhaps. Paranoid, not hardly.

As for having enough money, what rich person ever admitted reaching THAT point? No such thing, not even Apple is immune from greed. Oops, make that "obligation to their stockholders."

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LannyC said:
It's not just your location. It's all the stores you visit, and how long you spend there, and the route you took to get there. If your cellphone is on, theoretically you can be tracked down every aisle of the Wal-Mart, and they'd know where you stopped to pick things from the shelves. They might be interested to know where your kids go to school, what billboards you see on your commute, how much you speed on the highway. This is all info they can sell to third parties, to improve their chances of selling you stuff you may or may not need. Cynical, perhaps. Paranoid, not hardly.

As for having enough money, what rich person ever admitted reaching THAT point? No such thing, not even Apple is immune from greed. Oops, make that "obligation to their stockholders."

I just hope people are not using Google Maps to navigate Walmart! :)

OP
AQ_OC

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

As for having enough money, what rich person ever admitted reaching THAT point? No such thing, not even Apple is immune from greed. Oops, make that "obligation to their .....

Come now, apple makes many times the profit of google and they can already track your phone all over creation. They are better off doing what they do best than starting a long slog of negative publicity to build a better map system than google's. It makes no sense and stockholders want things to make sense.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iJamesH said:
Well the way Walmart moves their stuff we may end up having to :D

I have a bit of insider knowledge here. They move it under black plastic wrap, presumably so that thieving truckers can't see what they are hauling and don't feel tempted to do a bit of early shopping.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Why is everyone so hot for this app??

Sent from my Wi-Fi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display using Tapatalk HD

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
1. It's fast.
2. It's accurate.
3. Street view.
4. Mass transit directions.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
LannyC said:
1. It's fast.
2. It's accurate.
3. Street view.

Mass transit is apparently only available for certain cities, mine isn't included, at least not yet.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
LannyC said:
1. It's fast.
2. It's accurate.
3. Street view.

I guess I will have to play around with it then :)

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Any rumors about a true iPad version? While the current version works on the 'pad, it isn't exactly "pretty."

Not that I know of, so lets start one. :D

It took, what, about four months for the iPhone YouTube app to go universal (for both iPad and iPhone)?

We only have this one data point, but going by the usual rules for Apple rumors (why should Google be immune?) this is obviously obviously enough for a good rumor monger.

and so . . .

We'll probably see the Google Maps app go universal some time in April 2013.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPhone version seems to have set a new record for quick approval. Hope the universal version receives the same expedited consideration.

Most reactions

Latest posts