What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Going to buy a iPad 4 or Air tomorrow, help me choose which?

OP
B

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I'm not trying to be confusing but attempting to offer the options - you seemed to have purchased a BUNCH of stuff w/o completing understanding how to use these for your purposes - just saying, sorry.

First, the adapter that you linked is an HDMI (High Definition Multimedia Interface) adapter - this will require an additional cable to connect the adapter to an HDMI port on your HDMI TV - once connected you should be able to play from your iPad to the TV.

Second, you imply that you already have an Apple TV - correct? Well, if so, then over the same Wi-Fi network (assume you have that setup?), you can 'mirror' your iPad's output directly to your TV wirelessly (of course, the Apple TV is connected to your TV w/ an HDMI cable).

Finally, your videos on your iPad will have to be compatible w/ the formats quoted in my previous post - if not, then some type of conversion will be needed.

Hope that these comments are clearer - if not, please post back - Dave :)

What additional cable does the adapter need? I was told that I only need an HDMI cable and the adapter. The link you sent me for formats supported, is that for the adapter or Apple TV? Also, I didn't purchase a bunch of stuff with no idea how they work. I was told that the Apple TV is basically wireless streaming device (Roku, etc.) and the adapter is more hardwired (HDMI-TV method). I understand that Apple TV only streams video supporting certain codecs, but I believe with the adapter, it doesn't matter the codec because VLC will pick the codec needed to play the movie. And I dont have Apple TV hooked up by the way. I'm just trying to figure out which I should keep, the adapter or Apple TV. Apple TV seems to have the same options as my PS3 (Hulu, Netflix, etc.).

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use handbrake to convert video from other formats to work on the iPad (and they work on the Apple TV too). It is free to download, but you need to have a PC or MAC to use it - it does not run on iOS devices. I'm not sure about posting the link, but the name of the software and a dot country will get you there, oh by the way... It is French.

Or you can do a search for handbrake and it should come up first on the list

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What additional cable does the adapter need? I was told that I only need an HDMI cable and the adapter. The link you sent me for formats supported, is that for the adapter or Apple TV? Also, I didn't purchase a bunch of stuff with no idea how they work. I was told that the Apple TV is basically wireless streaming device (Roku, etc.) and the adapter is more hardwired (HDMI-TV method). I understand that Apple TV only streams video supporting certain codecs, but I believe with the adapter, it doesn't matter the codec because VLC will pick the codec needed to play the movie. And I dont have Apple TV hooked up by the way. I'm just trying to figure out which I should keep, the adapter or Apple TV. Apple TV seems to have the same options as my PS3 (Hulu, Netflix, etc.).

So the old style adapter was called an HDMI adapter, the Lightning adapter is HDMI too, I guess they changed the name to confuse the innocent. All you need is the adapter and the HDMI cable to connect directly to the TV.

With the Apple TV you just make sure the Apple TV and iPad (or iPhone) is signed into the same account as each other and you can stream the same content as with the adapter, but wirelessly which is pretty nice.

To stream to the TV (either adapter or Apple TV) tap the rectangle to the right of the ones at the bottom and select (in my case) Apple TV

Attachments

• image-2832877330.jpg
    image-2832877330.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 326
OP
B

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use handbrake to convert video from other formats to work on the iPad (and they work on the Apple TV too). It is free to download, but you need to have a PC or MAC to use it - it does not run on iOS devices. I'm not sure about posting the link, but the name of the software and a dot country will get you there, oh by the way... It is French.

Or you can do a search for handbrake and it should come up first on the list

I understand that, I have handbrake. Just 2 questions if you could please answer.

1. In handbrake what do I have to convert it to? mp4, mov?

2. How do I get the movie onto my iPad? I can't figure this out?

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand that I have handbrake. Just 2 questions if you could please answer.

1. In handbrake what do I have to convert it to? mp4, mov?

2. How do I get the movie onto my iPad? I can't figure this out?

Getting it to the iPad is the easy part, you need to drag it into iTunes on the computer by clicking on the file(s) in finder or explorer then drag them to the upper right side in iTunes where it says music, videos, books etc. once it is in the correct format.

Once into iTunes you can select video in the upper left column and your video(s) will be there. Click on the video(s) you want to put on the iPad and drag them to just a little lower in that column where you will see the iPad when it is connected to the computer.

In Handbrake there are presets already set up for the iPad, select it and convert to test. You can modify the settings, I don't and haven't seen a need to yet.

Oops, Edit: that is the upper left side column not right for all those

Last edited:

zstairlessone

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Another option, once the video is in iTunes (you are logged into the same account as the Apple TV and the iPad right :) ) you can tell the Apple TV to connect to your shared library (you will have to tell iTunes to share your library) and you can stream direct to the Apple TV without your iPad from the computer.

These all work if you are on the same wireless network.

OP
B

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Getting it to the iPad is the easy part, you need to drag it into iTunes on the computer by clicking on the file(s) in finder or explorer then drag them to the upper right side in iTunes where it says music, videos, books etc. once it is in the correct format.

Once into iTunes you can select video in the upper left column and your video(s) will be there. Click on the video(s) you want to put on the iPad and drag them to just a little lower in that column where you will see the iPad when it is connected to the computer.

In Handbrake there are presets already set up for the iPad, select it and convert to test. You can modify the settings, I don't and haven't seen a need to yet.

Oops, Edit: that is the upper left side column not right for all those

Ok, so the only way to get videos on the iPad is converting the video. Are there any ways to get non-compatible videos onto the iPad? I know they wont play but I have a program that will play files that are converted, I just have no idea on how to get them onto the iPad. I know some apps allow you to upload files through wifi but it's a pain.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat trying to choose between the 4 and the air. I can save over $200 dollars going with the 4 on a comparable model versus the air. I'm all about the latest and greatest but that's a good savings too and can't be ignored. Most say to go for the newest model and I get the logic. Not as easy of a decision as you'd think.

Rickee67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat trying to choose between the 4 and the air. I can save over $200 dollars going with the 4 on a comparable model versus the air. I'm all about the latest and greatest but that's a good savings too and can't be ignored. Most say to go for the newest model and I get the logic. Not as easy of a decision as you'd think.

I hated my gen4 because it was so heavy, I never could bring myself to even put it in a case cause it would make it even heavier. I sold it and got an air yesterday, much lighter, much faster, longer battery life, stereo mic and speakers, MIMO wi-fi antenna and best of all doesn't get smokin hot when gaming. Seriuosly the ipad gen4 would get uncomfortably hot after playing something like bejewelled HD the air does not.

OP
B

budmonster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hated my gen4 because it was so heavy, I never could bring myself to even put it in a case cause it would make it even heavier. I sold it and got an air yesterday, much lighter, much faster, longer battery life, stereo mic and speakers, MIMO wi-fi antenna and best of all doesn't get smokin hot when gaming. Seriuosly the ipad gen4 would get uncomfortably hot after playing something like bejewelled HD the air does not.

I ended picking up an Air. I didn't get a chance to hold the iPad 4 but I was told the extra $120 was worth it to get the Air. One thing though, does the Air have crazy fast wifi or is just me? I was never able to stream movies before from my PC to my HDTV without videos stuttering. My internet did change but not that much, went from 50/25 to 75/35 and FiOS also gave me a new router that they are promoting everywhere. I should have been able to still stream on a 50/25 connection even with an older router. Anyways, I don't know if my FiOS speed boost and the upgraded router are the reason I can now stream 1080p (12GB) videos without too many hiccups (still a few here and there) or if the iPad Air is just a beast with its wifi.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I ended picking up an Air. I didn't get a chance to hold the iPad 4 but I was told the extra $120 was worth it to get the Air. One thing though, does the Air have crazy fast wifi or is just me? I was never able to stream movies before from my PC to my HDTV without videos stuttering. My internet did change but not that much, went from 50/25 to 75/35 and FiOS also gave me a new router that they are promoting everywhere. I should have been able to still stream on a 50/25 connection even with an older router. Anyways, I don't know if my FiOS speed boost and the upgraded router are the reason I can now stream 1080p (12GB) videos without too many hiccups (still a few here and there) or if the iPad Air is just a beast with its wifi.

Good choice. I did the same thing. Glad I did. The wifi does scream and the whole experience thus far has been terrific. Enjoy! :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Well, the iPad Air IS a beast for power, so there's that.

In addition, Apple has added the MIMO (Multiple Input, Multiple Output) technology. MIMO allows for multiple antennas in a device to create multiple data streams, thus increasing throughput.

So, yeah, WiFi ought to (and does) scream...! :)

Marilyn

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

It seems like you are mixing up Internet streaming speeds with wifi speeds. The wifi speeds, that is router to device (say your iPad air) is typically much faster than that coming from your ISP to your house. So if you are streaming say from your PC to your iPad inside your house, that speed is what is likely to improve with this update. Of course, you have some nice fios speed into your house! By the way, I can stream 1080p rigs with no problem inside my house on my old iPads....but those are not 12gb files, but more like 2gb...so if you are doing that on your air, that is indeed very good.

Helen289

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried alternatives to apple tv and some of them do the work ..but recently I've purchased the apple tv and man it works so good ! it's an investment but for me really worth the money

Husq250

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It seems like you are mixing up Internet streaming speeds with wifi speeds. The wifi speeds, that is router to device (say your iPad air) is typically much faster than that coming from your ISP to your house. So if you are streaming say from your PC to your iPad inside your house, that speed is what is likely to improve with this update. Of course, you have some nice fios speed into your house! By the way, I can stream 1080p rigs with no problem inside my house on my old iPads....but those are not 12gb files, but more like 2gb...so if you are doing that on your air, that is indeed very good.

I have generally slow ISP speed. I'm sure even my old router is much faster than my ISP. HOWEVER, I do feel the air improvise interned data transfer noticeably over all my other devices. Seems it should be so but is. Is it possible something in it is build more efficiently?

Most reactions