What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmail Question

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use Gmail and I noticed that even though I have no deleted messages in my account online, the mail app on my iPad says there are over 400 messages in the All Mail folder. Is there any way to do a mass delete of the folder? It will take FOREVER to delete 459 messages. And where are these messages coming from? I don't see them online.

Thanks.

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
Gmail archives all mail (sent and received) in the All Mail folder, unless you change the settings and tell it not to do this. You will have to go online with your browser to change that. You cannot change it from within the Mail client.

Deleting those messages online is rather quick and easy, if you make sure you use the full desktop layout in your browser, not the limited mobile layout. You can change this at the bottom of the page.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All mail is.......ALL MAIL.

Any label, any archived messages, any sent mail. You def don't want to delete that...that's the whole point of gmail!

OP
jcherepy

jcherepy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have searched the Gmail page with my desktop browser, but I don't see any setting about saving or archiving deleted mail.

Most of my mail is of no value after the current day, such as weather alerts, club notices, etc and I really don't want to save it.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have searched the Gmail page with my desktop browser, but I don't see any setting about saving or archiving deleted mail.

Most of my mail is of no value after the current day, such as weather alerts, club notices, etc and I really don't want to save it.

Then when you are done with it click delete, not archive. When you hit archive it goes into storage for later retrieval, if you hit delete it goes to the trash until you empty the trash.

The reason you get almost 8GB of storage on gmail tho is so you can keep all of your mail and never delete anything.

I go back to old mail ALL the time. It is the thing I love most about gmail.

BTW, there is no reason to ever even go into the all mail folder on you iPad...just go to inbox and you will only get recent mail.

Johan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.johanfoto.com
What you can do is the following: go to the Gmail settings and then to 'Forwarding and POP/IMAP'. Enable POP and choose not to archive messages that have been collected. Finally, in the Mail app, set your Gmail account to use POP. From now on, all new mail is downloaded to your iPad and deleted from the server. Delete mail from the inbox and it's gone.

Most reactions