What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghosting effect on screen...

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
anybody else sometimes get a ghosting effect on their screen? Wondering if I should be concerned?

Well it doesn't sound normal but what's normal these days? But it need not necessarily be a huge concern. Your iPad's memory may just need a bit of a tidying up. Have you tried this oldie but a goodie:
Hold the On/Off and Home Screen buttons at the same time until the screen blacks out and the white Apple logo appears. Then let go and keep patiently waiting, and the slide On button will appear with which you will get back to a refreshed Home screen. Let us know how you got on. If no good, there are other options.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I would need to see video to offer any comment. It does not sound normal to me, but I don't know what you mean by ghosting effect.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I wonder if some eyes are more sensitive to ghosting than others. I never notice anything like that on my iDevices.

OP
M

MechanizedIT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, I currently have my iPad set to sleep after 10 min, maybe too long, it just seems like I didn't used to notice it, but recently it has shown up, I was just curious if it was normal or if I should be concerned. Another question is, I have noticed a small portion, almost an inch, where the glass meets the body of the iPad, it appears that the black rubber sealant or whatever it is, is bulging out and becoming loose, any concern for that?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can you post a pic of that? Is there any apple store near you? That too sounds strange.

I can't say much about ghosting as that hasn't been an issue for me. I have had my sleep set to about 10 minutes too, but usually the screen is not static for nearly that long.

Hopefully, someone will chime in if they have seen some ghosting.

slothead

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
tjmanson1.wordpress.com
"iPad 4"? Maybe I missed something. I had the first version (ok, iPad 1), and I amusing the 2nd version (right now), and just bought my wife "the new iPad" (iPad 3), what is the iPad 4, or was there really a version that snuck past me?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
"iPad 4"? Maybe I missed something. I had the first version (ok, iPad 1), and I amusing the 2nd version (right now), and just bought my wife "the new iPad" (iPad 3), what is the iPad 4, or was there really a version that snuck past me?

How recently is just? If you bought if after November 2, then you likely got her the 4th generation iPad. If you bought it before then, then you got her the 3nd generation iPad.

OP
M

MechanizedIT

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it is amazing what I can see with the pics and the light, I now am wondering if the audio jack isn't partly to blame, because it looks like the jack is pushing it up, a design flaw? It is an iPad 2, so just over a year and a half old. Wondering if this wont be an issue in the near future for other ipad 2 owners.

The nearest Apple retail stores are both 2 hours away, St. Louis and Kansas City, but there is a third party Mac store here in town that does repairs I think, maybe I will get an estimate, maybe I will check at best buy also.

Also, the ghosting effect seems to happen after only about 1 min, especially when viewing high contrast stuff such as when I read a news article, without scrolling, from the time I read from the top to the bottom, hit the home button, it shows up pretty clearly in the background.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121117_210831.png
    ForumRunner_20121117_210831.png
    284.4 KB · Views: 367
  • ForumRunner_20121117_210905.png
    ForumRunner_20121117_210905.png
    473.3 KB · Views: 414
Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That is not right. I suppose it could be a design flaw, but I have not heard of this happening to anyone else, yet. I guess we would need to wait to see. My guess is that as long as it doesn't spread it should continue to work as it does now. If there is no evidence of a drop or hard ding, I'd still take it to an apple store just to see if they would be willing to help you out. Zero guarantees, though.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah, it is amazing what I can see with the pics and the light, I now am wondering if the audio jack isn't partly to blame, because it looks like the jack is pushing it up, a design flaw? It is an iPad 2, so just over a year and a half old. Wondering if this wont be an issue in the near future for other ipad 2 owners.

The nearest Apple retail stores are both 2 hours away, St. Louis and Kansas City, but there is a third party Mac store here in town that does repairs I think, maybe I will get an estimate, maybe I will check at best buy also.

Also, the ghosting effect seems to happen after only about 1 min, especially when viewing high contrast stuff such as when I read a news article, without scrolling, from the time I read from the top to the bottom, hit the home button, it shows up pretty clearly in the background.

It looks like that iPad has been dropped or otherwise damaged.

I've had my iPad 2 for about 1.5 years and haven't seen any ghosting, and the iPad frame remains in original condition, without sign of any prob with the jack or otherwise.

Most reactions

Latest posts