What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ghost Apps

stevecova1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an app that no matter how many times I try to delet from IPad and ITunes still sits on my IPad showing 'waiting'. On the odd occasions it does install and I remove it, lit just appears again. Has anyone else had the same problem and do you have any idea how I can get rid. It doesn't cause a problem it is just infuriating.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
First, I have to ask the obvious question: Have you tried to reboot your iPad (hold both the sleep and home buttons until the screen darkens and then you see the white apple logo appear)?

It seems to help fix a lot of the iPad's wacky behavior.

If you tried that and it doesn't/didn't work, please post back and we'll try something else.

Marilyn

OP
S

stevecova1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. Have tried reboot but no joy. Any other ideas welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

singlestick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks. Have tried reboot but no joy. Any other ideas welcomed.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Do you also have an iPhone and is the app on that device? This might make it harder to delete it from iTunes, depending on your settings.

Otherwise, you might send a note to the app developer.

subpargames

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i've had that happen, but a reboot fixed it no problem... maybe upgrade your ios?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, what about this ... ?

If you can, get the app downloaded to your iPad (as you've said it has installed before).

Then, hook your iPad up to iTunes and, with a right click on the iPad line, select "Transfer Purchases." This should put that app into iTunes.

Then, on the right hand side of the iPad/iTunes view, go to the Apps tab . Scroll through the apps until you find the one you've been messing with; it should be checked. Uncheck it.

Then, you should see an "apply" button at the bottom right side. Click that and iTunes should sync that app off of the iPad. Once done, take a look at your iPad screen. Hopefully, that app should be gone. If it is, eject the iPad.

Then, again in the left side, go to the top, under "Library," and select Apps. Scroll through the list of apps in your iTunes until you find that particular app. Right click on it and select Delete (and, choose to move it to the Recycle bin as you don't want it saved anywhere).

Now, this all is a stab in the dark, cause I honestly have NO idea why you're having these troubles. But, this is what I'd do given your situation.

Good luck and let me know how it turns out.

Marilyn

cjoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hhhhmm that happened to me a few times when I downloaded a couple apps over wifi. I learned that resetting the ipad/ipod/iphone will return everything to normal. I try to download apps through my home computer via itunes, especially with bigger files.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an app that no matter how many times I try to delet from IPad and ITunes still sits on my IPad showing 'waiting'. On the odd occasions it does install and I remove it, lit just appears again. Has anyone else had the same problem and do you have any idea how I can get rid. It doesn't cause a problem it is just infuriating.

I ran into the same problem and went through every troubleshooting possibility, then called Apple, which directed me through the exact steps I had already tried. No joy. The Apple guy ended up suggesting that I wipe all my contents and restore, which I had been trying to avoid.

I had two apps hanging that way and ended up wiping my iPad and restoring. PITA.

newhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem with my ipad mini - 2 ghost apps detectable only in Settings > Storage and iCloud Usage > Manage Storage. They appear literally nowhere else on the device. The icons are generic - no idea what they are so I can't re-download. They take up 52 MB and 32.9 MB, not huge but I'm trying to clear out any extraneous stuff in an effort to stop frequent spontaneous shutdowns currently afflicting the pad. Any advice on either matter much appreciated!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem with my ipad mini - 2 ghost apps detectable only in Settings > Storage and iCloud Usage > Manage Storage. They appear literally nowhere else on the device. The icons are generic - no idea what they are so I can't re-download. They take up 52 MB and 32.9 MB, not huge but I'm trying to clear out any extraneous stuff in an effort to stop frequent spontaneous shutdowns currently afflicting the pad. Any advice on either matter much appreciated!

Hello and welcome to the forum. It's good to "see' you and I hope you enjoy your visit(s).

If you want those "ghosts" gone, tap on the icon (in the "Manage Storage" area).

You should be taken to a new page that has the word/button titled "Edit" in the top right. Tap that Edit button and you will then see a red circle with a white line icon appear next to the item (or items). You will also see a line that reads "Delete All." Pick your option and then press Done (or it'll just close - I'm not sure cause I didn't actually delete anything on my ipad).

And that should take care of those "ghosts." As you've said, they're just remnants hanging around, causing no harm. But - always good to keep a clean iPad. [emoji4]

Hope this helps. If not, holler back and we'll take another stab at it.

Marilyn

newhart

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,
Thanks so much for the fast reply. No luck though. When I tap the icon I get a screen called "Info" with version and app size at the top and a delete app button at the bottom. But I've tried it numerous times with no luck. I don't see "Edit" anywhere, unfortunately. I got a screen grab of the page but I don't know how to post it here - the pic button above wants a url and it's just on my camera roll. *eye roll at self*
newhart

If you want those "ghosts" gone, tap on the icon (in the "Manage Storage" area).

You should be taken to a new page that has the word/button titled "Edit" in the top right. Tap that Edit button and you will then see a red circle with a white line icon appear next to the item (or items). You will also see a line that reads "Delete All." Pick your option and then press Done

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's at the right place. Use that "Delete App" button to get rid of the app:
image.jpeg

jaba123

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had tip maybe it's work try to logout from iCloud & I store.

Most reactions

Latest posts