What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting my ipad 2 to listen to my Netgear router

seananton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting my ipad 2 to listen to my Netgear router, I had no problem with my ipod touch, just found the mac number and made it one of the allowed devices.
However although I have done the sam with my new ipad 2, no luck! It still tells me it can't connect!
Help!:confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this an encrypted WiFi setup? I'm assuming that your iPad can 'see' the Netgear router - i.e. that you have a reasonable signal strength etc.

Do you have problems connecting to any other WiFi hotspots or is this a problem that's restricted to your Netgear router?

Tim

OP
S

seananton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netgear problems

Yes, there seems to be good indication of signal strength, I rely on the Netgear accepted mac numbers for security and the ipad's mac number is on the accepted list.

I have not tried the ipad on any other wi-fi network, I'm relying on 3G for communication.

I had no problem getting my Netgear modem to recognise my ipod touch, it's just the ipad.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - one idea while I'm thinking :(

Have you tried powering the iPad completely down rather than simply putting it to sleep - i.e. by pressing and holding the Power button until the slider control appears?

Tim

Reaction score
seananton said:
Yes, there seems to be good indication of signal strength, I rely on the Netgear accepted mac numbers for security and the ipad's mac number is on the accepted list.

I have not tried the ipad on any other wi-fi network, I'm relying on 3G for communication.

I had no problem getting my Netgear modem to recognise my ipod touch, it's just the ipad.

Does this mean the Wifi network is unencrypted? Mac filtering does not provide any security on it's own, as it can easily be circumvented.

Here is a good article explaining why hiding the SSID, as well as enabling Mac filtering does not make the network secure, only encrypting it does.
http://synjunkie.blogspot.com/2007/12/bypass-hidden-ssid-mac-address-filter.html

As a result, I would suggest you to disable mac filtering and see, whether the iPad can join than.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seananton said:

Does this mean the Wifi network is unencrypted? Mac filtering does not provide any security on it's own, as it can easily be circumvented.

Here is a good article explaining why hiding the SSID, as well as enabling Mac filtering does not make the network secure, only encrypting it does.
Syn: Bypass Hidden SSID & MAC Address Filtering

As a result, I would suggest you to disable mac filtering and see, whether the iPad can join than.

Thanks - I was hoping you'd come along....:D

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts