What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

future of ipads

Mihovil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will ipads replace desktop computers and laptops? People are prefering ipads more than laptops and is making me wonder how will be the ipad of 2030 look like and the capabilities it will have?

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Will ipads replace desktop computers and laptops? People are prefering ipads more than laptops and is making me wonder how will be the ipad of 2030 look like and the capabilities it will have?
The iPad has already replaced the desktop/laptop machine as far as I'm concerned. However, I think the tablet computer of 2030 is going to be quite different from what we see today. If there is one thing I've learned about computers it's that technology doesn't sit still for even a minute.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My prediction: by then, personal computers will be worn as wristbands, pendants, etc., with some as-yet-uninvented technology replacing the monitor. Look at Google Glass for a clue of the direction, if not the eventual hardware solution. Some would expect implanted devices, but I doubt the world will be ready for that yet, if ever.

Tablets will still be around, for infants not yet ready for grown-up computers. And, of course, as cat toys. :)

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Pinkpoison

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't speak for 2030 but for me the iPad could never replace my MacBook Pro and i think that for a lot of people it can't replace computers, it has it's place though.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum! :) But I must ask why you are concerned about a date nearly 20 years from now? Not sure what your age may be but think back 20 years to the early 1990s, the internet as we know it was just emerging (I was part of that rough struggle w/ Netscape, etc.), hardware was then ancient compared to now, and software whether Windows or Apple was primitive in retrospect.

Computer technology changes more on a monthly basis and year to year introductions of 'new' hardware & software are typical - my prediction is that hardware will continue to down-size, so all will get smaller but keep in mind that human fingers will not evolve to smaller ones in the near future nor will the need for human eyes to read text of a given size - now, I'm rambling, but you get the point - i.e. don't think that far ahead. For myself, I'm currently using a rMBP & an iPad2 - the latter is used when I travel but at home I prefer to use the laptop (which I'm doing now) - I can't see that changing much in the next few years, a time period that is your best 'thought process' - cheers! Dave

Bob327

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as I am concerned my current ipad (a 2) can not replace even my little netbook let alone a laptop or desk top..as a computer..
However it sure is easier to read a book on...but then again so is my Kindle fire ..

Bob G.

Mad_Maru

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPads are useful and simple tool with many uses. If you require a powerful solution for any graphic intensive applications etc then laptop or MBP would be your solution. I feel that soon tablets will just be the interface to connect to more powerful systems to increase power & usability.

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPads are useful and simple tool with many uses. If you require a powerful solution for any graphic intensive applications etc then laptop or MBP would be your solution. I feel that soon tablets will just be the interface to connect to more powerful systems to increase power & usability.

Sent from my  iPhone® using Tapatalk

Yo are probably right. No way the tablets themselves will ever be the workhorses of serious industry on their own. But, yeah, I can see them being connected to servers and other devices that act as servers to run monster apps or do intensive computing. Lets face it, th lack of a mouse and the keyboard that takes up almost half the screen does put a damper on tablets replacing computers altogether. But, for casual users and students the tablets have already taken over.

As for 30 years from now? Who the heck knows.....

neenaiphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipad is one of the most innovative electronics products human have seen, probably the first of its kind, the tablet market started to follow after it, in the coming future we will see better hardware and a better design from the iPad makers.

Most reactions

Latest posts