What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full OSX on Apple iPad

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If there is one thing I would like to see, it's a full version of OSX running on an iPad. That at least leaves you an open platform to run whatever you want. Someone would be able to do a virtual keyboard and you'd have a laptop so to speak to do full computing on in a good form factor.

Anyone else interested in this?

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would love to have that item. :) That would be a true tablet computer.

I am hopeful we may see this within 5 years.

Dennis

Xeronix

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hopefully. The processor itself is 1ghz. Much less than what we should have though it is BSD based.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to pay an extra 700 dollars Axiotron will turn your MacBook into a Tablet today :D. They'll even make you an extremely expensive ModbookPro multi-touch toy.
Axiotron : Modbook Pro

I'm expecting 3 years or rather after the 3rd generation of iPad. I would not want to squeeze the full OSX into the iPad with its current hardware. Apple has made the right call in not pushing to fast for a full-function tablet Mac.

For starters try to go out and find the number of Multi-touch using software packages for PC, let alone OSX. It will take those 3 years of the iPad for Apple to build a very solid developer base to support an OSX Multi-Touch platform. iPhone developers are already using cut down OSX code to write their Apps. The iPad gives them a bigger screen to work with and expand the functionally of their Apps. A MacTablet in 3 years would then benefit from those develops who can take their big-screen multi-touch knowledge and apply it to the full OS.

There are also some technical issues that likely need to be addressed before a MacTablet meets Apple's esthetics demands. I say watch the next few generations of MacBook Air for most of the specs (and watch them try to make it run cooler). Another big issue IMO is heat. While it can sometimes be okay for a Laptop to get lab burning hot as it can be set on desk or other surface, it would be unacceptable for a MacTablet to get that hot. You don't want users burning their hands or arms while using your product. Even the iPhone/iPod can get warm in the hand depending on the Game one plays on it.

OP
JohnnyApple

JohnnyApple

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The prices there are way higher then $700?

dennis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want to pay an extra 700 dollars Axiotron will turn your MacBook into a Tablet today :D. They'll even make you an extremely expensive ModbookPro multi-touch toy.
Axiotron : Modbook Pro
<snip>

Dorje,
Intriguing. Does the Axiotron Modbook have a virtual keyboard? Or is it pen/stylus only?

IMHO the pen/stylus thing was a big reason why the PC tablets never took off a few years ago. That and the price. If the Modbook doesn't have a virtual keyboard I wonder if the iPad will win over some of the Modbook customers.

AbblePC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What Im thinking is with the Rumors of the possible new iMac 21.5" touch interface Apple is currently working on, this may open the gates per say for more implementation across other Apple devices other than the already touch capable portables like the iPhone iPod and iPad.

I think its a very likely situation, to soon see touch ability on almost all Macs.;)

Once this is "across the board", I feel Apple may open yet another device much like the iPad but with support for more computing capabilities to run a full OSX or newer custom OS from Apple. I some how feel, its not so much getting a larger more capable version of an iPad running OSX, its more how will it interface (ports, communication) with all other networked and non networked devices.

One of my main gripes using the iPhone for my mobile office, is not always having a shared printer to use with apps on the iPhone, let alone my Macbook. They really need to make printers more "general vanilla friendly" when it comes to driver support. HP has been for years supporting most generic post script drivers.

Dorje

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The prices there are way higher then $700?

700 (900 after march 1st) + the unit (if you send them it), so still not cheap. The Modbook Pro is way more ~3100 USD built from a costumer supplied MacBook Pro.

Dorje,
Intriguing. Does the Axiotron Modbook have a virtual keyboard? Or is it pen/stylus only?

IMHO the pen/stylus thing was a big reason why the PC tablets never took off a few years ago. That and the price. If the Modbook doesn't have a virtual keyboard I wonder if the iPad will win over some of the Modbook customers.

The Modbooks, based on the MacBook hardware, no I don't think they do. Or at least it would be pen based. The ModBook Pros are supposed to have multi-touch as well as pen input. I have not actually used their rebuilds. I don't have the funds to spend on such a toy.

iPadBoy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.teenagerswithaspergers.com
Thing is, OS X would need to be hacked to run on the ARM processor in the iPad. Now, AFAIK, Snow Leopard will only run on Intel processors, so you'd need to use an emulator. While that would be possible once it's jailbroken, it would be VERY slow and pretty much unusable.

Tiger and Leopard MIGHT be able to be hacked for it so it runs natively, but that'd require a lot of work, probably from people familiar with OSx86, and you'd need to hack the bootloader too.

Guillaume

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Look at your macbook/computer screen- try touching the icons, dragging windows, etc. with your hands. In about 45 seconds, your arms will start getting tired. This is because a) your using your arm muscles actively (you don't when just type on a keyboard or use a mouse) and your arms are above your heart- making it harder for the blood to be pumped in your arms.

Apple engineers are aware of this simple fact, and this is the reason for which we will never have a touch iMac or a touch macbook.

In addition, I highly doubt Apple would release touch based computers running OS X. There's a simple reason to that- OS X was designed with the idea of a mouse in mind, not a touch interface.

As a result, if we are to see "macbook touch" or "macbook tablet", it will very probably be in the "ipad" form factor, and with OS 11- which won't be before a handful of years.

leebase

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tablet computers have been out for years and years. I do not want a "tablet computer". The laptop is a great form factor for general computing.

But that's just me. When people were wondering what kind of netbook Apple would come out with -- I said then (more than a year ago) -- that I didn't want a netbook, I wanted a large iPod Touch.

Lee

bananazx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think the processor in iPad is fast enough for full functionality of OSX. One could make it work, but will be really slow.

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple wanted something between an iPod and a computer. That's what the iPad will remain. However they still got the legal rights to the name iSlate.

I would prefer Airpad...:p

kheldour

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure, that the success of the iPad will have a major impact on a decision, if a "MacBook Touch" would make sense for Apple or not.

Personally, I believe, that we will see an Apple product in 15" within the next three years. MacOS 11 might be fully touch enabled......
:D

Most reactions

Latest posts