What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frustrated with email program on iPad 3

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,

My biggest frustration with my iPad 3 by far is the email program. I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. I have two email accounts set up on it. My habit is to delete my emails as soon as I've read them. I don't want to see them again unless I've saved them to a speciific folder.

A few minutes ago I discovered 300 emails that go back to the day the iPad 3 was on the shelves. I have deleted every one of those emails and I can guarantee you no matter what method I use to delete the darn things, they come back! Today's dump was by far the biggest jolt. I have just highlighted (the blue dot) each and every one by itself and deleted them AGAIN. I have no idea how long they will stay deleted but I have no allusions about them being gone.

I have gone into settings and looked at what appears to be the only archiving section in mail settings. I've checked off various settings in there. Obviously I am not doing it right because every email I've sent since I bought the thing is still coming back daily.

I'm probably the only person "out there" who doesn't "get it." Please save me from myself so I can get on with my enjoyment of this new toy.:eek:

Many thanks,

Last edited:
OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read the sites you suggested below my original question. Those answers did not work with my question.

The Manual for iPad 3 says:

"Some mail accounts support archiving messages instead of deleting them. When you archive a message, it’s moved from your Inbox to All Mail. Turn archiving on or off in Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars."

"Recover a message
Deleted messages are moved to the Trash mailbox.
To change how long a message stays in the Trash before being deleted permanently, go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars. Then tap Advanced."

There is no sign of the word ADVANCED in my iPad 3 settings.

If I open gmail account the words Archive Messages is listed. I have it turned off.
If I open my shaw account there is no Archive Messages listed. There is only Mail Days to Sync. I have selected 1 day because it is the least. the other option is Mail folders to Push. I have selected Inbox.

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks once again.

Ran into a tech nephew at airport. He agrees that it is all the old stuff that the servers hold. I don't really have a clear picture as to how to fix it .. But I will get on to it when I get home.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you selected x days to sync in your account settings screen where x is the number of days to replicate email to the iPad?

Under mail settings/advanced/deleted messages/remove. Choices are never, one day, one week, or one month. I suspect never is selected. Change the value to one day and it should be fine.

OP
WhydidIbuyit

WhydidIbuyit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you selected x days to sync in your account settings screen where x is the number of days to replicate email to the iPad?

Under mail settings/advanced/deleted messages/remove. Choices are never, one day, one week, or one month. I suspect never is selected. Change the value to one day and it should be fine.

I FINALLY found that setting! Thanks

Last edited:

Most reactions