What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FREE video converters

T

TJK

Any news if Handbrake will be available for the IPad? or is it a mute point.........

I think it would be cool if they would allow at least storage of the offending non-apple supported file format until Hanbrake could convert it on the IPad directly and then delete the original.

I don't understand what you mean by "available for the iPad".
Handbrake is a program for PC or MAC OS ( as well as Linux, fedora, etc) that encodes video in various formats. Choose the right encoding parameters and file format and the encoded files work perfectly on iPad. So, yes, it is a "moot" point.

Unless you are pretty technical I'd recommend downloading a commercial program like Xilisoft DVD to iPad converter.

I have been using a 3 step process:
1. Rip the DVD using DVD Decrypter (this creates a raw digital copy of the DVD on your HD for use by Handbrake. Files are approx 5GB.)
2. Verify with VLC (VLC also provides the necessary decryption plug-ins for Handbrake.)
3. Encode with Handbrake.

For Handbrake to iPad I have been using the PLIST file I found here:
How to Create iPad Formatted Videos Using HandBrake or FFMpeg

T

TJK

Using the iPad-Full PLIST file from the link I provided above encodes files that are approx 1.2-1.5 gb depending on movie length and look and play great on the iPad.

The reason I use DVD Decrypter is that the raw file can be backed up and used to burn fail safe archive DVDs of your collection. The files can also be used to encode to different output formats for different devices without having to re-rip the DVD each time. I am planning on building a media server so having the raw files will put me ahead when i get there.

One other thing: the Handbrake encoded files will load through iTunes just fine but will not have the DVD artwork or other info associated. Just download JPEGs of the DVD covers from the Internet and manually add them in iTunes.

iBold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Best to not convert at all but let your PC stream the movies en pic them up with Air video. I dit install airvideo server point to your movie files (Avi, DIVX,XVID) start client connect to your pc and your ready to go, watch while converting...

keroro1979

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ive been using the suggested method of DVDdecrypter and Handbrake (with the custom Ipad Full.plist).

Although my iPad hasnt arrived yet, so I cant try it, Ive put them into iTunes and had a quick look at them on my touch, and they run great.

The only thing I want to do now is find some way to trim them so I can remove the end credits - every little bit of space helps!

Llisa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
video converter

:)Hi,
I use another conversion tool which is also very easy-to-use, Convert-tune. http :// convert-tune. com /index .html

It converts audio files to different formats.
It has free CD Ripper and free CD Burner, and other options.
It converts video files for iPod as well.
it runs on Windows 2003, XP, 7, Vista and adds ID3 tags.

ckole

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless you are pretty technical I'd recommend downloading a commercial program like Xilisoft DVD to iPad converter.

I don't mind paying for quality software. Would you say this is the best. I see it is $29.95. Any other suggestions. I don't have the time to mess with some of the free options. They are very good but I find them to be a bit time consuming.

Thanks for the information.

RocknRolla67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, i have installed OPlayer HD on my iPad, need help how to use it for my video collections for all formats?

Thanks!

kizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Personally I use Handbrake and I honestly kind of hate doing it since all my movies are originally ripped in AC3 for my home Linux based media machine running XBMC, but now I have to convert them from Xvid to MP4 ACC. :(

Anyways I normally convert to the highest resolution of what my files are unless of course I can't for some odd reason since DVD's honestly aren't the highest quality. I have several that are blue ray rips exceeding obviously what the iPad can play so I've been ripping them lower because my wife likes to watch a flick or two on the iTouch when we travel. So I've been setting handbrake to maintane the aspect ratio and I've been setting it at 960x* and as well setting the audio to 2ch ACC 160kbs. For me it takes way to long since I can normally rip a DVD to an ISO format, but since these are a bit pickier I have to do it the Mac way. :D

Last edited:

ashry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only thing I want to do now is find some way to trim them so I can remove the end credits - every little bit of space helps!

I had a similar challenge, and I used AVS editor before doing the conversion. With AVS video editor I was able to edit the movie... I hope this helps :)

Most reactions

Latest posts